Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sop show

Default Sop show

UAS victim. Just got in the Kiwaya KS-1 on the left, very sweet. Left to right: Kiwaya KS-1, '43 Martin Style 0 retopped in spruce, stock '47 Martin Style 0, 50s Kamaka gold label, 40s Favilla U2. Really shouldn't keep em all, tough decisions ahead.

20180312_122419-1.jpg

Would love to hear soundbite comparing spruce toped Martin and original..

Quote Originally Posted by Dansimpson View Post
    Would love to hear soundbite comparing spruce toped Martin and original..
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...kes-comparison

Nice hearing the Ekhuas again. Almost want it back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    UAS victim. Just got in the Kiwaya KS-1 on the left, very sweet. Left to right: Kiwaya KS-1, '43 Martin Style 0 retopped in spruce, stock '47 Martin Style 0, 50s Kamaka gold label, 40s Favilla U2. Really shouldn't keep em all, tough decisions ahead.

20180312_122419-1.jpg
    @ Ukecaster. Thank you for showing us the fleet. By some measures five Ukes isn’t so many that you need to thin them out, but I have only four now (it’s been a few more) and am thinking about selling one of the less used ones. Things and situations change over time and that once prized possession sometimes now gathers dust whilst tying up money and taking up space, etc. You’ll have your own well thought out reasons, that are right for and tailored to you, for what to keep and for what to let someone else enjoy.

As an aside, and a very general comment, if any are sold then I think it would be nice if the new owners (like you did) bought them to play.

Good luck with the plan and with the sales.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 03-13-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Super impressed with the Kiwaya KS-1 from the Eco series. I've previously had a Famous FS-5 (lam koa) and FS-0 (lam mahogany, thinline). Despite being laminates, I find that they really do sound like the wood used in the laminate: the koa lam sounds like koa, and mahogany lam sounds like mahogany. Rather impressive, at least to me. The Kiwaya laminate is great stuff.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-13-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spongeuke View Post
    Nice hearing the Ekhuas again. Almost want it back again.
    Yeah, it's a great uke. IMO, it sounds just like you'd expect a spruce top Martin soprano to sound: stronger and slightly brighter. Worth BMs are perfect on it. With the tort top binding, it looks like a Martin D-18 guitar. The last owner removed the original wartime wooden pegs, and installed black UPTs, which work extremely well.

21.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-13-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Congrats on the KS-1!! I was looking on Elderly Instruments not long ago and they have/had a used one in what looked like great condition that I was 'this' close to pulling the trigger on but didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Congrats on the KS-1!! I was looking on Elderly Instruments not long ago and they have/had a used one in what looked like great condition that I was 'this' close to pulling the trigger on but didn't.
    That's the one! I've been browsing their used instrument pages for years, and noticed that they usually just mention specs and features, very rarely commenting on the sound, unless it's a real standout. On this one, they did say that it sounded good, so I figured it must be a special one. For $195.00, it rivals many good, much more expensive solid wood ukes. Unusual striping on the walnut fingerboard, but I'm ok with that.

Kiwaya KS-1 & 40's Martin spruce top Style 0.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-13-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Oh funny. I had put in a question about that one on Reverb and Elderly wrote back a few days later to say it was accidentally listed on Reverb as it had already been sold.

So I bought an FS-5 from Reverb instead. Yeah. Like I sold you. What can I say? I need a Kiwaya soprano and have missed my KTS-6 since I sold it. Turns out the concert is not enough.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Thread Information