Thread: Zoom H1 software

Default Zoom H1 software

I bought a Zoom H1 and tried downloading the software they include with it, but I have a tiny hard drive and it is something like 6 gig. Can I just use Audacity? Will it do the same things? Is it any harder to learn that Cubase or whatever they call it? Thanks for the help.

Teri
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Technically you don't need any of that software since the zoom is a portable mic and can record all by itself and you can simply export the resulting wav file into your PC and use whatever software you like. If you have simple needs then Audacity is certainly capable of doing what you need and is pretty simple to learn the basics.

You don't have to use their "lite" version of cubase and in fact given your space constraints (6gb really?), you could try something like Reaper which is a DAW with a much smaller footprint (11mb download?) but more of a learning curve that Audacity.

I would inquire at the zoom specific forum for recommendations

http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=15
    Last edited by librainian; 03-12-2018 at 02:38 PM.

I just got one of these too, I use Audacity for all my recording, so , yes, I'd suggest giving it a go.

Thanks for the link to the Zoom forum, never thought to look for one.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Also check you have the latest system software, there is a V2 and a V2.1 update available on the zoom website.
    There is also an HSIO driver for windows.
    hth
    h

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    I bought a Zoom H1 and tried downloading the software they include with it, but I have a tiny hard drive and it is something like 6 gig. Can I just use Audacity? Will it do the same things? Is it any harder to learn that Cubase or whatever they call it? Thanks for the help.

Teri
    Just use Audacity. I bought the H1n, and it took half a day to figure out how to download and install the "free" software. Turned out to be rubbish, and really just trial versions.

Thanks everyone. I updated the firmware and installed the driver. No kidding, the download process for the software is labyrinthine. I'm not surprised it's also rubbish. I'll use Audacity.

Yeah, my laptop has a solid state drive that can handle Libre Office and Gimp and about 50 photos. You're supposed to do everything in the cloud, like a Chromebook. I attach a portable hard drive for local storage.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Thread Information