Song Help Request Walk down or up help?

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I'm working on Sweet Pea by Amos Lee in the key of F. We are doing this tonight at ukulele workshop. This is the transition I'm working on......

(F) You're the only (Dm)reason I (Bb) keep on (C7) coming (F) home (C7) (F) walk down to ......
Bridge
(A7) unlike the Rock of Gibraltar

My instructor has listed the walk down that we normally use to go from C to A7 and it just doesn't sound right to me. I don't know the right names for the chords, but it start on E string third fret & C string fourth fret and then moves down one fret each time to end on A7. The walk down is on the words....Un/like/the/rock with A7 being on the work rock.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
It seems to work just fine for me Raftergirl. Just one beat on each double stop. Only play the middle two strings.

If you want to strum all four strings, you'd have to do it like this. Sounds just as good. C, B, Bb, A The B and Bb are passing chords to get you from C to A.

___3__2__1__0___
___3__2__1__0___
___4__3__2__1___
___5__4__3__2___

By the way, I had never heard that song before. I just listened on YouTube and I really like it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I think I'd just hit one strum on the F C B Bb, A7X4

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. When I played it at the workshop tonight it sounded better. I think my timing was off a little as well.

I had heard the first two lines of this song before but not the whole thing. Check out Chris Alvarado’s version on YouTube. Same key that I was in, so playing along to his video was fun,

Last edited:
Since you mentioned "F", and I noticed that Amos played it in E, (I watched the video with the green screen with words and the ukulele), I tuned my uke down a fret and played it like this. I Googled the words and put the chords in. I didn't include the walk down. I really like this song. Thanks a lot.

Sweet Pea - Amos Lee

[F] [A7] [Dm] [G7] [F, Dm] [Bb, C7] [F, Bb] [F, C7] (Four beats per measure)

[F] Sweet pea, [A7] apple of my eye
[Dm] Don't know when and I [G7] don't know why
[F] You're the only [Dm] reason I [Bb] keep on [C7] coming [F] home [Dm] [Bb] [C7]

[F] Sweet pea, [A7] What's all of this about?
[Dm] Don't get your way all you [G7] do is fuss and pout
[F] You're the only [Dm] reason I [Bb] keep on [C7] coming [F] home [Dm] [Bb] [C7]

[A7] I'm like the Rock of Gibraltar, I always seem to falter
And the [Dm] words just get in the way
Oh I [G7] know I'm gonna crumble and I'm trying to stay humble
But I [C7] never think before I say

[F] Sweet pea, [A7] keeper of my soul
[Dm] I know sometimes I'm [G7] out of control
[F] You're the only [Dm] reason I [Bb] keep on [C7] coming,
[F] You're the only [Dm] reason I [Bb] keep on [C7] coming yeah
[F] You're the only [Dm] reason I [Bb] keep on [C7] coming [F] home [Bb] [Bbm6] [F]

Last edited:
In the version we got for class, the line before the walk down to the bridge ends in an F instead of a C7. I think the walk down from F to A7 was throwing me off. Your version above makes more sense. I wish I could find Chris Alvarado's version to download to my iTunes. I have the Amos Lee version. I like the key of F a lot better.

[F] You're the only [Dm] reason I [Bb] keep on [C7] coming [F] home [C7] [F] .......instead of [Dm] [Bb] {C7]

Nice tune. I had heard it, but never knew the artist. Thanks for posting

Top Bottom