Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 guitar recommendations

Default 3/4 guitar recommendations

Wife looking at starting with a 3/4 guitar. Any input on beginner models? When she get good at 6 strings, i'll have her try 4 strings.

UpDownDave recently got a mini Taylor, they get rave reviews. Around LA used ones go for about $350.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Taylor-GS-Mini

My buddy bought a Cort 3/4 guitar and loves it. I believe he paid about $200 new.
    http://www.cortguitars.com/en/produc...ew.asp?idx=138
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

I have had them them all at one time or a another. The Taylor mini, Alvarez, Recording King, china Guild, Pono, compact small travel 3/4 guitar models...and so on.

NOTHING BEATS....the Martin Drednaught JR. for sound and playability

Thats my go to guitar.
    its all solid wood, 1.75 nut for easy playing, compact, but sounds like a full size guitar.
    Last edited by uketanzon; 03-14-2018 at 02:08 AM.
    (Originally a Northern Yankee
    But now a good old southern boy)

Martin IZ Commenorative Tenor
    Martin style 1 1950 soprano
    Koaloha Special issue Purple heart Tenor
    Koaloha Long Neck Soprano Koa
    Kamaka 100 year anniversary model hf-1
    Kanilea Concert Koa
    Southern Cross Banjo Concert

Classical or acoustic, i.e. nylon or steel strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Classical or acoustic, i.e. nylon or steel strings?
    Nylon. That claasical, right.

Quote Originally Posted by plunker View Post
    Nylon. That claasical, right.
    Corboda and Yamaha both make good 1/2 & 3/4 size classical guitars. They are sometimes referred to as student or small bodied guitars on their websites.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Are you looking for 3/4 size mainly for a smaller body size? Or are you also considering smaller for scale length or even nut width. If the player has larger or smaller hands, then a little smaller or larger size in these areas may be better. Longer scale length means a longer stretch between frets, but also more room. And same thing for nut width. I see some mention of the Taylor GS mini, which I think has a 23.5 in scale length. The Martin DN Jr. has a 24" scale length. You can find even shorter scale lengths in the baby taylor (22.75) or Martin LX1 (23), or even the Pono UL40 is a really high quality guitar with a 21.4 in scale length. Nut width on the Pono is slightly wider than the Martins or Taylors, but less than most nylon/classical guitars.

If you want to go really small for nylon, even smaller than 3/4, can look at guileles, e.g. Cordoba or Yamaha, which I think are closer to Tenor uke scale length or even the Kiku (Lichty or Kinnard), which I think are closer to baritone uke scale lengths. But these all generally have wider nut/neck widths, closer to classical guitar widths.

Although I’ve never tried one, the La Mancha guitars at seem to get decent reviews in Europe for the smaller size beginner guitars. Strings by mail has started to carry them. https://www.stringsbymail.com/manufa...haguitars-372/
    Anyone try one?
    Depending on your budget, Alhambra has smaller classical size guitarsor the cordoba c9/10 parlor. These will be much more expensive.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and replies. Went out to look, landed a Lucero thin line classical with pick up. $ 300.00. I think the thin line gets her where she wanted to be with the 3/4. Or close to it.

If you are thinking steel strings I bought a very affordable Ibanez Parlor PN1 for around $150. Not the greatest insturment in the world, but it's an easy player, smaller body size and neck length, and is a good buy to see if you are going to stick with the guitar. http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_...121&color=CL01

Thread Information