Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/4 guitar recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Alytw View Post
    Although I’ve never tried one, the La Mancha guitars at seem to get decent reviews in Europe for the smaller size beginner guitars. Strings by mail has started to carry them. https://www.stringsbymail.com/manufa...haguitars-372/
    Anyone try one?
    Depending on your budget, Alhambra has smaller classical size guitarsor the cordoba c9/10 parlor. These will be much more expensive.
    Never tried those, but did check out the link. Pretty small scale 18-19", puts it even a bit smaller than most baritone ukes.
    Last edited by UkeInTW; 03-16-2018 at 07:06 AM.

To me, the problem with this fractional guitars like the ones from La Mancha is that they also reduce the nut width substantially (43 mm instead of 50 mm) which makes it very hard for me to fret certain chords. I guess they are really proportioned for children's hands.

The 3/4 size has different nut sizes (43 & 48) depending on the model, and the 630mm is 51mm. I agree though, I wouldn’t want anything under 50mm personally.

The scale of the 3/4 is 23+” (595mm) not 18”. But yes, there are some small ones. I would be concerned about string tension under 615mm.

Like I said, I haven’t tried them, but it was interesting to read the Los Angles Guitar Quartet endorsement of the Rubi. These guys are great, so it made me curious. I haven’t met anyone who has tried them though.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by uketanzon View Post
    I have had them them all at one time or a another. The Taylor mini, Alvarez, Recording King, china Guild, Pono, compact small travel 3/4 guitar models...and so on.

NOTHING BEATS....the Martin Drednaught JR. for sound and playability

Thats my go to guitar.
    its all solid wood, 1.75 nut for easy playing, compact, but sounds like a full size guitar.
    A bit late to the party, but I just want to say +1 on the Martin Dreadnought Junior. It's probably the best value in small "travel" guitars, and it's my go-to guitar as well. I also have a full-size Martin D-18, which I'll probably sell because I never play it since I got the D-Jr!

Since I began playing ukulele and guitar, I tend to prefer tenor scale ukes and smaller short-scale guitars. Makes it much easier for switching back and forth.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Hello,

These days I'm also looking for a good and not too expensive 3/4 guitar. I tested a few ones in shops and from my point of view, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha CS 40. It's about 120 bucks and for that price the instrument is perfectly finished, the intonation is good, the playability is OK and — more important — you can really get a true dynamic range depsite the laminate top.

Fender also sells a popular 3/4 classical, even cheaper (less than 100$) but the neck is narrower and the instrument seems rather designed towards fusion/bossa/acoustic. The Yamaha is not in the same league, it's a serious classical instrument you can keep for years before getting rid of it.

just my 2 cents.
    regards,

Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by Alytw View Post
    The 3/4 size has different nut sizes (43 & 48) depending on the model.
    Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize there was a model with a nut width of 48 mm. To me, this a pretty ideal compromise between the wide neck of a classical guitar and the narrow neck of a steel string guitar.

I don’t know if it’s a 3/4 guitar but... Kanile’a makes an Islander steel string guitar that’s small. Best part is the built-in arm rest and cutaway. Comfortable. Mine is spruce top with rosewood sides and back — I Think. Bought it last year at the LA International Uke Festival.

Thread Information