Shima Ukulele anyone?

FWIW- They state that the strings are "a custom D’Addario Pro Arte string set". I inquired if these would be available, thinking down the road to when people may need to replace them. I was told that they are not available to the public, but that the D'addario Pro Arte soprano are fairy close.

It seems a little odd to me that they would have a custom set of strings, but that it would not be possible to replace them with the same if needed. I would think a different set would give a different sound, feel and possibly intonation.

Nice review Baz. how would you compare this Shima with the Made in China Kiwaya longneck soprano, which you recently reviewed? I think that Kiwaya is about 1/2 the price of the Shima.

They are different classes really so hard to compare. The Shima is leagues above it in terms of build quality and finishing. That's not to say the Kiwaya is 'bad' - it's just a bit scruffier - not in things that really make a difference to play though. Sound wise I think the Shima just edges it but it is close. I think the Shima just looks better too - love the headstock.

Overall - the Kiwaya ended up getting 0.1 more in the score on my site - but that was really down to the price being so much lower.

Perhaps a better comparison would be with the more similarly priced Kiwaya KS-1 - the laminate soprano made in Japan - I'd take the Shima over that one - and I ADORE the Kiwaya.

Interesting. I'd like to hear the story behind this someday. Either a company approached him, or he approached a company to make a signature line. It's hardly cheap for what it offers. We'll have to wait for a test and review.

Jerry - I discussed this direct with Bruce and it's summarised in my review.

Basically - Bruce as well as being a player used to work for a far eastern uke company and got to know the ropes of production out there. Was dissatisfied with some of the quality and the lack of any ukes that had been designed by an actual player as opposed to just a corporate thing. So rather than being approached, he worked with Jake to set down specs that Jake wanted (he wanted to mirror the soprano neck on the feel of his Kamaka tenors) and Bruce used his contact and knowledge over there to find a factory to build them

They are then shipped to Hawaii for final QC. My review sample came to me from Hawaii not China.

I've been thinking of getting a Shima ukulele. What is a good case for it? Anyone know how long the ukulele is? I already own a few soprano cases that may work. Thanks.

Somewhere I think I was told that a long neck soprano case (ohana and other similar ones) would fit. There may be a few regular soprano cases with a little more "headroom" that may work.

This is the first question answered on the Shima website FAQ section.

What is the actual length of the instrument so I can tell if it will fit in a case that I already own?

Also in the same video, the current Long neck soprano will be discontinued..

fyi - ShimaUkulele.com just announced a solid mahogany tenor ukulele for $400.

Would like to see and hear a user review on the tenor. I like the head stock. Wish they had options for different tuners. At $399 I’d definitely consider one of these. I will keep my eyes posted for a review.

Now that the "Shima" uke comes in an all-solid tenor, I wonder whether Jake would actually perform on it exclusively?

And start playing at age 4.

Jake was an award-winning ukulele player as a teenager, so if he started at age 4, that's just 10 to 15 years of practice. A lot of people in this forum have been playing for a lot more than 10 years.

Now that the "Shima" uke comes in an all-solid tenor, I wonder whether Jake would actually perform on it exclusively?

There's a lot more to a ukulele than the wood that it is made from. Jake's $5000 Kamakas do sound any play noticeably better than the basic $1000 Kamakas, even in my mediocre hands. I'm sure these $400 instruments will have build quality that matches their price.

Jake is known to be a perfectionist when it comes to equipment. He spends more on cables than most professional ukulele players spend on ukuleles. Whatever he is doing is working for him, of course.

Jake's $5000 Kamakas do sound any play noticeably better than the basic $1000 Kamakas, even in my mediocre hands.

I am skeptical. I'd love to see a blind test being done - with a $1000 standard Kamaka and a $5000 special edition, both played by the same person (Jake, Corey, etc) - to see how many people can actually hear a difference. I feel that after a certain price point, you pay for "blink", rarity and prestige.

I haven't played a $5000 ukulele, but I have owned and played $2000+ ukuleles, and they didn't play or sound better than $1000 instruments. Actually, the $1000 Moon Bird concert I had sounded and played better than instruments that were more than twice its price. It wasn't made in Hawaii, though, and aNueNue wasn't prestigious when the Moon Bird line started, and no celebrity was playing it at the time. But as an instrument, it was spectacular.

There's a lot more to a ukulele than the wood that it is made from. Jake's $5000 Kamakas do sound any play noticeably better than the basic $1000 Kamakas, even in my mediocre hands. I'm sure these $400 instruments will have build quality that matches their price.

Jake is known to be a perfectionist when it comes to equipment. He spends more on cables than most professional ukulele players spend on ukuleles. Whatever he is doing is working for him, of course.

I ran across this article recently on the equipment that Jake uses, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/...361301377&mc_cid=84e93a373a&mc_eid=78a2307769

Top Bottom