Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is USB mic upgrade worth it?

Default Is USB mic upgrade worth it?

I am contemplating upgrading my Shure MV5 USB mic to a Blue Yeti.
    I deliberately bought the Shure in stead of the Yeti because it was smaller, looking less messy on my desk, but now I am courious how much better the Yeti might sound.

Is the improvement in recording quality worth having extra electronic gadgets taking up space, or should I just stick to the Shure untill I decide to go all the way and get an interface and a real mic?

And If I power my USB mic with an on-the-go-cable from a tablet, will I even get the full benefit from a USB mic? I remember the Shure having very low recording levels when using it with my phone, but I am not sure how much difference there is between PC and tablet. So perhaps a better device is more important than the microphone?
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

my oldest videos were done with a blue yeti. it was competent. Only downside is that I had the gain at about 8 o'clock(nearly all the way down) to make it not pick up my breathing and mouse farts. I have since gotten a focusrite interface and traded in the yeti to get a sm57 which I am happier with. YMMV
    Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddyJesusSmokes
    http://www.reverbnation.com/musician/ohmless
    Ukulele start date: November 1st, 2013
    Cordoba 15CM concert uke

I just use a Samson USB mic plugged into a standard desktop computer or laptop, (running Linux), & use Audacity to record from it.

(Audacity is free to download, & works on multi platfoms.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmless View Post
    my oldest videos were done with a blue yeti. it was competent. Only downside is that I had the gain at about 8 o'clock(nearly all the way down) to make it not pick up my breathing and mouse farts. I have since gotten a focusrite interface and traded in the yeti to get a sm57 which I am happier with. YMMV
    Perhaps I should skip the yeti then, and aim higher If I need more than the mic I have.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I just use a Samson USB mic plugged into a standard desktop computer or laptop, (running Linux), & use Audacity to record from it.

(Audacity is free to download, & works on multi platfoms.)
    I am not sure any of the Samson usb mics are big upgrades to the shure mv5, I think I would need to go Yeti or Rode NT.
    I use audacity too, on my pc.

I didn't mean it as an upgrade, just that that is all that I use.

I think your upgrade path is likely to be a pro performer quality mic & accessories - those Shure mics are highly regarded from what I've read.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I only use Shure MV88 plugged to my iPhone 7 Plus to make all my video. The sound quality is excellent. Cut out unwanted background noise. You can take a look at my video here to see the quality. Itís recorded in stereo mode.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...iel-Ho-s-album
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Oops...

I decided that I ddin't need a mic upgrade, but then I see the Yeti at almost half price if I accept to get it in a bundle with a video game that I am probably never going to play...

Accidentially bought one... MAS? Microphone Aqusition Syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Oops...

I decided that I ddin't need a mic upgrade, but then I see the Yeti at almost half price if I accept to get it in a bundle with a video game that I am probably never going to play...

Accidentially bought one... MAS? Microphone Aqusition Syndrome?
    The Yeti is a solid mic. Blue is a good company. I expect you're gonna be happy with it.

Also, there is such a thing as MAS, sound engineers have closets full of mics, some different, some the same, and some vintage.

The price of vintage mics will make your head spin.

There are tons of options between $99-300 that work really well for general use. We are spoiled now in that regard.

Congrats on your new mic!
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    The Yeti is a solid mic. Blue is a good company. I expect you're gonna be happy with it.

Also, there is such a thing as MAS, sound engineers have closets full of mics, some different, some the same, and some vintage.

The price of vintage mics will make your head spin.

There are tons of options between $99-300 that work really well for general use. We are spoiled now in that regard.

Congrats on your new mic!
    Thanks!
    I am looking forward to comparing it to my shure Mv5.
    Not sure how much of a difference, but hey, it does stereo!
    Probably not audible stereo if the uke and vocals are on the same side of it, but still.

Thread Information