#319 Spring Soul

save the last dance for me

already nicely covered by Allan.This one caught my ear,with a little help from my backup singer

I count Gary Moore as one of the few guitarists who can really bare his soul and communicate through his guitar (that 'fuzzy feelin')
I didn't have much time to get my head around this one this morning but gave it a bash anyways............

For some reason it’s not saving the title and season number on the video. So, until that sorts itself, this is Smokey Robinson, You Really Got A Hold On Me :)

Last edited:

Hi, Kelly! I am hoping that this qualifies as "Soul" - I'm a bit hazy as to what Soul actually is! I've just seen that John has also posted something by Smokey Robinson, though, so fingers crossed that I'm on the right track.

Last edited:
This is the last one for me this week far as the main playlist goes, I may do a Drifters song still. I chose this one cause I love it, and my wife likes when I do recitations during songs, which I did here. That being said, this tune is not about my wife! Heh.....

I recorded the first song I thought of, and then noticed it had already been done. Can you really have too many covers of Soulshine, though? I'm fighting a nasty cold right now, and have cancelled some Holy Week choir commitments as a result, but what it's done to my voice actually works well for this song--I'm quite a bit raspier than usual here. It's also just happy coincidence that the late-afternoon sunshine started hitting me right in the face when I hit record...

pardon my brother's snoring. ugh, can't get a single take without him affecting my recordings! :D

More from the Wicked Pickett... with mouth trumpet horn with enough echo for everyone :)

Up on the roof

Had a lot of difficulty finding the correct chords for this one. None of the usual online sources seemed to have them right; and when I found the sheet music - every version out there was missing a couple of bars!! So I've included a marked-up songsheet and a leadsheet below.

The Drifters sang this in A♭, so that's the key I've used for the text and leadsheet here. If you want to transpose key (I did it in F), read the marked-up text into SongSheet Generator, and use the transpose function there.
Code:
{t:Up On The Roof}
{st:The Drifters}
{key:Ab}

(Up On The [Ab]Roof)
(Up On The [Ab]Roof)
When [Ab]this old world starts [Fm7]getting me down
And [Db]people are just too [Bbm7/Eb]much for me to [Ab]face (Up On The [Ab]Roof)
I'll [Ab]climb way up to the [Fm7]top of the stairs
And [Db]all my cares just [Bbm7/Eb]drift right-in-to-[Ab]space (Up On The [Ab]Roof)
[Db]On the roof it's [Db6]peaceful as can [DbM7]be__[Db6]__
And [Ab]there the world be-[Fm7]low can't bother [Db6]me__ [Bbm7/Eb]

I keep on telling you 
when [Ab]I come home feelin' [Fm7]tired and beat
I'll [Db]go up where the [Bbm7/Eb]air is fresh and [Ab]sweet (Up On The [Ab]Roof)
I'll [Ab]get away from the [Fm7]hustling crowd
And [Db]all that rat-race [Bbm7/Eb]noise down-in-the-[Ab]street (Up On The [Ab]Roof)
[Db]On the roof that's the [Db6]only place I [DbM7]know__[Db6]__
Where [Ab]you just have to [Fm7]wish to make it [Db6]so__  Let's 

[Bbm7/Eb]go Up on the [Ab]roof (Up On The [Ab]Roof)
{c:instrumental:} 
[Ab] [Fm7] [Db] [Bbm7/Eb] [Ab]
On The [Ab]Roof)

[Db]At night the stars [Db6]put on a show for [DbM7]free__[Db6]__
And [Ab]darling you can [Fm7]share it all with [Db6]me  

I keep on telling you
that [Ab]Right smack dab in the [Fm7]middle of town
I've [Db]found a par-a-[Bbm7/Eb]dise that's trouble [Ab]proof (Up On The [Ab]Roof)
And [Ab]if this world starts [Fm7]getting you down
There's [Db]room enough for [Bbm7/Eb]two up-on-the-[Ab]roof  [Fm7]
Up on the [Ab]roof 
Oh come on ba-[Ab]by__ [Fm7]
Up on the [Db]roof [Bbm7/Eb]   [Ab]
Incidentally, that Bbm7/Eb? Play it as Bb7sus4: 1311

I prepared the leadsheet using MuseScore. Sorry the attachments are so small, but I had to convert the pdf into j-pegs.
Up On The Roof[A♭]_Page_1.jpg
Up On The Roof[A♭]_Page_2.jpg

Attachments

• Up On The Roof[A♭]_Page_1.jpg
    Up On The Roof[A♭]_Page_1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Up On The Roof[A♭]_Page_2.jpg
    Up On The Roof[A♭]_Page_2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Season 319. Submission 2. "I Only Want To Be With You" (A Collaboration - Mezcalero and Turtledrum) (Copyright info posted on vid.)

Kelly, here is the first single released by one of the greatest soul singers ever - Dusty Springfield.

Lead uke, vocal, audio mixing - Kevin
Lead vocal, uke, vid production - Linda

Last edited:
Top Bottom