Your best learning Uke.

IMO, it’s whatever uke gives you confidence and inspiration to keep playing. A uke with horrible action, not enough frets, or even high G vs low G can greatly impact how far takes themselves in learning the uke.
I think this is the right answer. Having an instrument that you love to play will inspire you to practice and learn.

Even if you buy a “beginner” uke, if you quickly find another online that you JUST HAVE TO HAVE, it could impair your willingness to keep going until you have THAT uke.
I think it is more a matter of having an adequately nice instrument than having the one you "just have to have." But perhaps having an adequate instrument can be taken to mean that you already have a "gotta have" instrument and therefore don't need another.

In any case, I find I most play the instruments that I enjoy playing and therefore those are the ones I make progress on.

Honestly it doesn't really matter what uke you use. Spending time and getting to know the layout of the instrument and music theory, correcting your technique, holding it with transitions, etc. is what is important.

Honestly it doesn't really matter what uke you use. Spending time and getting to know the layout of the instrument and music theory, correcting your technique, holding it with transitions, etc. is what is important.

H’mm, I do see where you are coming from and those points are certainly valid too. To me they’re kind of additional to my concept.

Threads sometimes drift away from the original post, or some subtle point that is the core of that post is lost. Of course everyone’s experience can be different but I have found - it seems that others have found it too - is that some instruments do trigger and facilitate learning better than others. Why they do it and whether we notice isn’t always clear - sometimes we also forget or set aside what we noticed - but it’s still, I think, a good idea to try and better understand what’s happening.

OP: By mere chance I’ve been playing and practicing on a different Uke to my usual one this week. I wouldn’t have expected that change to make much if any difference but it has, I’ve had a few ‘light bulb’ moments where I’ve ‘discovered’ (more stumbled up on really) new, alternative or easier ways of playing something and found myself looking at various ‘new’ chords that would otherwise be ignored.

The Uke that I’m temporally using isn’t anything special, but it seems better for learning on than my favourite Uke, which is the one that I usually play. What Ukes have UU members found that they learn best or better on and why do they think that those (particular / individual) Ukes work well for them?

Last edited:
It seems reasonable to me to think that using a different instrument might present new and different challenges, which might prompt a player to discover problems, and solutions to problems, he didn't know he had. Then, when switching instruments again, those discoveries might be retained by his brain and applied to the new instrument as well.

I have found, on occasion, that setting a ukulele aside in favor of others and then coming back to it several weeks later can reveal some startling advancements in my facility with the set-aside uke. Did I really learn something by switching? Was the other uke just harder to play? Whats going on here? It's difficult to say, but I'm fairly certain it's a net gain.

i find enya oms concert is very easy to play,i have short hand so alot of chords are hard for me but the enya seems more easier to play for me.

I learned something from every uke I have played. If I had to pick the two that I feel boosted my learning the most, it'd be my Stagg concert (my first proper ukulele) and the Pono baritone. I played the concert a lot and didn't have any preconceptions or ambitions or comparisons when I started out with it, so I just had fun and no particular desires, which translated to accelerated progress.

The Pono baritone was a surprise to me, and I didn't consider that size before I chatted some with the dealer and he mentioned he'd just gotten it in for someone else, but they didn't want it because it had no cutaway. So I bought it at a small discount. Everything about it felt right: the volume, the sound, the ergonomics. It was a perfect fit, no "how do I hold this thing!" issues, great sustain up the neck. I had a lot of fun with it and that also resulted in a boost in learning progress.

My size preferences have shifted a few times over the past few years and I still find something I like about each size of ukulele, and each of my ukes, but these two are probably my favorite instruments. (And they also mark the opposite ends of the price spectrum of the instruments I have.)

my aging and battered Kolohe concert is my favorite for learning new songs. I've recently added a couple of tenors and a soprano... but my initial preference for concert ukes might never fade. They just hit a sweet spot for me, tonally and in terms of playability.

Sopranos I find more challenging because it's difficult for me to cram my fingers in between the closely spaced frets. They seem better, however, for working on my right hand techniques.

With tenors, I'm approaching a string tension and fret spacing that makes stretched chords a tad more difficult.

My ideal would probably be a concert with a 1.5" nut width. .. which I do not have, yet.

I love my Ohana CK-60C. I got a sweet deal on one on eBay (under $200) because it had a light discoloration spot. It sounds nice though and plays well. I love the concert size.

My long neck soprano ukulele from Chateau (not well known). I love everything about it. It's light and really easy to use.

When I first started out it was my laminate mahogany long neck soprano, now that I have moved on a bit, & have tried a few different ukes, it's my solid mahogany long neck concert. :)

(My two most used are my solid mahogany Ohana CK35L & my solid acacia KoAloha Opio, both long neck concerts.)

Top Bottom