Keep it forever?

This makes me think of the “drive it until it stops running” thought about buying new cars. Thankfully new ukes are much, much, much cheaper than new cars!

I only have one ukulele. My wife a musician of over 40 years said get one with a solid wood top. So I did. Paid for some upgrades also. Will it be my one and only? Does my skill level warrant buying another? I like the thought of buying into the level you aspire to. I also think quality is worth a few extra bucks. As a novice I'm pretty sure I'm not going to buy, buy,buy.....I'm learning and having fun but have other parts of my life also. Been thinking about an Outdoor or Waterman for times at the lake and camping, been thinking about a Martin model 2 top quality and all, been thinking about a resonator from National. I tend to keep things for a long time so long as they are working for me. If they don't work it is easy to let them go.

I only have one ukulele. My wife a musician of over 40 years said get one with a solid wood top. So I did. Paid for some upgrades also. Will it be my one and only? Does my skill level warrant buying another? I like the thought of buying into the level you aspire to. I also think quality is worth a few extra bucks. As a novice I'm pretty sure I'm not going to buy, buy,buy.....I'm learning and having fun but have other parts of my life also. Been thinking about an Outdoor or Waterman for times at the lake and camping, been thinking about a Martin model 2 top quality and all, been thinking about a resonator from National. I tend to keep things for a long time so long as they are working for me. If they don't work it is easy to let them go.

All that thinking might lead to something! ;)

My Martin is 85 years old and still going strong! It shows it's age physically, but sounds and plays wonderfully. It's a future family heirloom? As well as my Kanile'a, I would hope my son or grandson have enough interest to enjoy them when I'm long gone. I can't imagine playing a quality instrument into sawdust!?!?!? :shaka:

My Moore Bettah is certainly not disposable.
Why do you think an ukulele would wear out?

I like to think mine will last indefinitely as long as I care for them. And yes, they may get dings and scratches over their lives. In that way they are like people--we all develop our own character as we get knocked around and age.

It is possible that one day one of my babies may get crushed and die, but I try not to think about that. If it does happen it will be a sad day, but I'm sure other ukes will be out there for me to enjoy. As the saying goes... "there are many ukes in the sea."

I've gone back and forth on that question a few times, and my preferences have changed several times, and they might again as I continue on this musical journey. I got my baritone back after selling it two years back, and right now that's my preferred size and favorite instrument, which previously I would never have thought possible (used to feel that baritones aren't really ukuleles). Likewise, I sold a tenor that I never expected to sell, because the connection didn't hold. So who knows what I'll enjoy down the road!

I try not to get too attached to "stuff", so while I do enjoy my current instruments, I think I could be happy with any properly set-up ukulele that's comfortable for me to play. If I get too attached, I start worrying about damaging or losing it, and that gets in the way of enjoyment for me.

I take good care of my ukes and treat them gently so I can't even imagine wearing one out to the point of it needing to be replaced.

Right! Unless your fingernails or a pick keep hitting the top of the uke, I don't see it "wearing out." Strings and tuners can always be replaced. Parts that separate can be re-glued.

Right! Unless your fingernails or a pick keep hitting the top of the uke, I don't see it "wearing out." Strings and tuners can always be replaced. Parts that separate can be re-glued.

What do you consider worn out?
willies-guitar.jpg

In my younger days I sold or traded stuff to people and had nothin’ but trouble doin’ it. They weren’t happy with it or were angry that I charged too much or decided that they didn’t really want it after all. If I took an “ all sales are final” stance, they became angry and made a fuss. So I haven’t sold or traded anything for years.

I have given stuff away, and I do trade things in when I’m buying somethin’ new. So, my garage and closet is growing fuller and fuller. Pretty soon you’ll see us on the TV Hoarder Shows.

In my younger days I sold or traded stuff to people and had nothin’ but trouble doin’ it. They weren’t happy with it or were angry that I charged too much or decided that they didn’t really want it after all. If I took an “ all sales are final” stance, they became angry and made a fuss. So I haven’t sold or traded anything for years.

I have given stuff away, and I do trade things in when I’m buying somethin’ new. So, my garage and closet is growing fuller and fuller. Pretty soon you’ll see us on the TV Hoarder Shows.

I can relate to where you are at and yes there are more than just a few difficult buyers and sellers out there. In recent times I’ve been letting some items go to free-up space, etc., and have done that via eBay. It takes time and carriage can be significant but, so far, it’s worked for me. So far lots of photos, a good and long description, and total honesty about any known issues has worked for me - I’ll refuse to sell something (by removing their bids and barring them from rebidding) to anyone I think isn’t genuine or honest too.

Perhaps it would be helpful to you to revisit selling things on. Technology has changed much of how we do things and sometimes letting things go is good for us and the buyer too.

Last edited:
Graham, you’re probably right, but I just don’t wanna be bothered with fussy, mind changing people. Also, some of the stuff that I have to sell or trade is somewhat outdated.

I’ve never used eBay though I look through it once in a while, but I’ve heard bad things about it, so I’m a bit leary of using it.

As long as I can still see the car in the garage, it’ll be all right. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
So I haven’t sold or traded anything for years..

If you don't mind a bit less money than selling it directly to someone, you could go through someplace like Elderly. They have a form on their website that you can fill out & they'll get back to you with an estimate on what they'd pay for it. You can then decide if it's worth selling. Of course, you also have to pay shipping, & they may change their price once they see the instrument, but I have done this, & found them to be fair. Other places will do the same sort of thing, too, so if you have instruments gathering dust & don't want the potential hassles of selling directly to someone, this might be another option.

If you don't mind a bit less money than selling it directly to someone, you could go through someplace like Elderly. They have a form on their website that you can fill out & they'll get back to you with an estimate on what they'd pay for it. You can then decide if it's worth selling. Of course, you also have to pay shipping, & they may change their price once they see the instrument, but I have done this, & found them to be fair. Other places will do the same sort of thing, too, so if you have instruments gathering dust & don't want the potential hassles of selling directly to someone, this might be another option.

Yeah, I know Elderly buys stuff, but it still seems like a hassle. It’s just easier to keep it unless maybe I can use it for a trade in. And I do play my ukes once in a while to sing or whistle with. I’m also working on finger-style with my baritone.

In high school, I played a lot of different instruments. Then I played the cornet for years. After that I traded from new instrument to new instrument (lots), but only one at a time. UAS got me for awhile, and now, I’ve gotten caught up in BAS and MAS, and my music room looks like a stringed instrument store.

I guess it’s all good for the economy. :eek:ld:

At first I bought ukes for the look, in a year about 16, then I got more discriminating so I culled them down to 4 of the best playing. Now up up to 8, with 3 being custom. I’m not concerned about playing any of them out and about, at gigs or rehearsal because they’re meant to be played.

I'm a new player but already have several. For me it's all about finding a good fit and basically a good everyday. I'll probably sell off the others. Unfortunately what feels good is a soprano neck because it's little and a tenor body because the sound is richer. I'm not fond of the high pitched sopranos.
The Duke 10 I just bought might up in the for sale category. Love the sound, but neck is hard to play.
As I get better something will just click.

I was hesitant to sell some of my ukes because I half expected there'd be some issues, even horror scenarios like someone charging back money. But the experiences were entirely positive. No problems, no balking, no arguments -- everyone seemed happy. One person asked for a "trial period" and I unthinkingly agreed to it, but that worked out too and they kept the instrument (they had paid upfront). Wouldn't do the latter again, though.

I keep most instruments I buy. I sell off, give away, or trade most anything that doesn't resonate with me early on, long before I get attached to it or would consider it a favorite. In fact if it was ever considered a favorite, I would likely not sell it. I would say that my attitude with digital gear and recording is slightly different. I end up keeping less than 40 percent of that stuff, but still sentimental about my first synth but otherwise, it if it collecting dust, I could use that money for more ukuleles.

Top Bottom