Uke to Mando?

prairieschooner

Reaction score
I have a 50's Martin Tenor Ukulele and would like to tune it like a Mandolin. Could someone help with the Nylon Strings & Where to get them?
PS I was learning to play the ukulele but now am playing the mandolin. I am not smart enough to be able to play both & know the mandolin better right now
thanks in advance

I have both soprano and baritone ukuleles tuned GDAE, an octave apart, obviously, but no tenor tuned in fifths, so I can't make a direct recommendation, but it might be useful to consider tuning your tenor to CGDA then either playing "one string over" or with a capo on the second fret.

Just my tuppence worth from my experience with a mandola :music:

Have tried to tune tenor ukes to GDAE, but have only moderate success. The problem is the E string which is quite thin and snaps easily. The only thing that I have found which can provide that note and take the tension is 20-pound test monofilament fishing line.

Aquila makes a CGDA set (Aquila 31U) for concert ukes that I have used for years on tenor ukes with no problem. If GDAE is desired, the GDA strings from that set can be used, adding the 20-lb test line as the E string. The other alternative is to string the uke as CGDA and capo to GDAE (not the best sound). Considering the rich sound of CGDA on the tenor, one may be satisfied with that fifths tuning.3

Last edited:
Top Bottom