Thread: strings for bari tuned gcea 1 octave down?

Default strings for bari tuned gcea 1 octave down?

I saw a youtube thing where a baritone uke was tuned an octave below linear gcea tuning. It sounded pretty good as a change-of-pace sound. I have an extra bari or 2 so I thought I would try out this octave tuning.

By the way ... I am not technically gifted but I *think* octave-low strings should be those which are high enough tension so they don't flop around. Right or wrong?

In any event, I will VERY much appreciate any string suggestions. ��
    Last edited by bellgamin; 03-29-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Guadelupe were the first to produce strings in this tuning, but I think there are others now
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Custom-Strings

https://www.southernukulelestore.co....m-set-for-sus/
    http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/living-water-strings/

I'm not sure if Aquila GCEA bari strings are low or not, but you could ask Mimmo, he makes them, & is often on this forum.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    I saw a youtube thing where a baritone uke was tuned an octave below linear gcea tuning. It sounded pretty good as a change-of-pace sound. I have an extra bari or 2 so I thought I would try out this octave tuning.

By the way ... I am not technically gifted but I *think* octave-low strings should be those which are high enough tension so they don't flop around. Right or wrong?

In any event, I will VERY much appreciate any string suggestions. ��
    Your guess about "floppy" strings is correct ... also too tight is not a good thing!

My usual procedure for this sort of thing is to use one of the on-line string tension calculators to work out what the normal string tension is, for any given tuning and string length, then using the same calculator "in reverse" to best-guess the string diameter needed for different tuning at a similar tension.

At least this way I shouldn't rip the bridge off or bend the neck!

Good luck
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

+1 for Guadalupe strings. I don't find them floppy, but I'm not a fan of strings which feel extremely tight. You apparently feel differently.

Do you have a Pono Baritone Nui, or a Tenor Guitar? Maybe using a longer scale length ukulele would improve your perception? Or is it the other way around?

I use my octave ukulele for finger picking, not for strumming.
    Last edited by Futurethink; 03-30-2018 at 02:36 AM.

Okay, I got on YouTube & listened to 4 videos of baris at octive gcea. I learned that a bari's body doesn't resonate well to that low of a sound, especially when strummed. So I shall file that idea under "R" for RubeGoldberg and seek other weird tunings to play around with.

Thanks for your comments. They helped me back to the reality of what a bari is built to do.

A long while back there was a thread about this tuning. I tried it and really like it while playing in a group, it added a nice low end. As a solo instrument it was to muddy to my ear.
    Keep Strummin'

Here's my fairly recent experiment with this: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Rogue-baritone
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA