NUD: Fred Shields' PINEAPPLE - All CHERRY

SoloRule

Reaction score
I posted on UU marketplace looking for a pineapple. I received many responses but none fits my need so I finally asked Mr Shields to build me one. This is my first soprano ukulele. 1 1/2" nut width , 14 fret to the body but stay in the soprano scale length.

Soprano ukes are very tight space so I was skeptical about it but thought what the heck let's do it. I was surprise at how easy it is to fret and finger picks because of the wide neck.

Mr Shields found me a beautiful piece of Cherry and decided to use it for top , side and back . The neck is mahogany. I waited 2 months, it finally arrived last week. (quite a short wait comparing to other custom built)

Mr Shields engraved my name (I supplied the design) on the fret board so that I can never sell it unless I become famous one day. ;) Look like I am finally ready for a life long commitment ! :eek: Mr Shields craftsmanship is impeccable as usual. This is my forth FS uke. One UU member bought my third one and ordered two more FS ukes after that. (yes Kathryn show yourself). She also has the twin of this pineapple and a big brother tenor !

The wood grain on this uke is very pretty and unique. Very light built. It's pretty much weightless. Here are some photos and a quick little tune to showcase it's voice. I have changed the strings to Aquila Red after I made this video though!

IMG_0500 2.jpg
Fred1.jpg
IMG_0535 2.jpgIMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:
Brenda, That’s a beauty. I really like that cherry wood. Great sound. You should be proud. Your own signature model as well. Congratulations!

Cliff

As long as my name has entered the public sphere, let me add that I also have a Fred Shields walnut/maple concert backpacker; it was my first FS. Fred's instruments are terrific.

Back to the topic at hand: lovely addition, Brenda! :D

As long as my name has entered the public sphere, let me add that I also have a Fred Shields walnut/maple concert backpacker; it was my first FS. Fred's instruments are terrific.

Back to the topic at hand: lovely addition, Brenda! :D

Kathryn I don't think too many people have seen a backpack uke. Do you mind sharing photos here? Thanks

Sure; will do this evening (LOL, after I figure out how to do it - it's been a while). Thanks for asking.

Congratulations, Brenda, this one looks so uniquely cool, and great playing!

I had the great pleasure of playing this uke and it is really lovely. The curly cherry is some of the nicest I have seen. Cheery can be kinda dull and lifeless this has a great warm golden glow with fantastic grain. Too bad Brenda put her name on it or I might have stole it when she wasn't looking.

Hey Rainer I think this would be the perfect uke for Brenda to put in her suitcase and bring to Switzerland to show you!!!!

Last edited:
Congrats! Sounds wonderful!

That was quite lovely. And so is your new Pineapple ukulele.

So beautiful, Brenda! Congratulations!

Now I might want a Fred Shields, too...

Thank you guys for all the kind comments. This is what I like NUD the most. Lots of enablers. ;)

Fred Shields is from La Mesa California (near San Diego).
His number is 619-464-8599

I sent so many people to him in the last two weeks. I hope I don't work him to death. He is a custom builder without the custom builder price tag.

Feel free to mention Brenda from Canada ! I may be seeing him again this year . I was well behaved so I received another invitation to San Diego either in July or November.

One more note ; I just spent an hour with the 'pineapple'. I am very surprised that my fingers do not feel tight and squeezed . The 1 1/2" width really help! This totally changed my opinion of anything shorter than Tenor scale is not meant for finger style. The down side is after playing this uke, I have trouble fretting the tenor neck. :confused:

Last edited:
Beautiful new baby! My only soprano is a 1.5 inch nut Islander. It does help. Add me to the list of folks who are interested in the backpacker ukes.

Last edited:
Loving the sound, Brenda. Your cherry pineapple is lovely ... and making me hungry for ice cream.

Can't wait till my FS uke arrives.

What's the song you are playing in the video and do you have tabs for it? I've heard it before but can't remember the name.

What's the song you are playing in the video and do you have tabs for it? I've heard it before but can't remember the name.

It’s a song that Corey Fujimoto introduced me to it.
It’s in Japanese language so I don’t know the name.
A very popular melody among Uke players in Japan. The popularity is similar to those Disney movie theme song in North America. Perhaps you can start a thread asking for the name?

It’s a song that Corey Fujimoto introduced me to it.
It’s in Japanese language so I don’t know the name.
A very popular melody among Uke players in Japan. The popularity is similar to those Disney movie theme song in North America. Perhaps you can start a thread asking for the name?
Ah yes.....that's where I heard it. He plays it on a video with an Islander tenor that I used to own I think? Do you have the tabs/chord melody that you are playing in the video?

Very nice looking and sounding ukulele. Looks bigger than soprano. I really like the headstock and the UPT tines. Great wood grain. I will have to look ,ore closely at Fred’s site. Congrats.

Top Bottom