Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NUD: Fred Shields' PINEAPPLE - All CHERRY

Default NUD: Fred Shields' PINEAPPLE - All CHERRY

I posted on UU marketplace looking for a pineapple. I received many responses but none fits my need so I finally asked Mr Shields to build me one. This is my first soprano ukulele. 1 1/2" nut width , 14 fret to the body but stay in the soprano scale length.

Soprano ukes are very tight space so I was skeptical about it but thought what the heck let's do it. I was surprise at how easy it is to fret and finger picks because of the wide neck.

Mr Shields found me a beautiful piece of Cherry and decided to use it for top , side and back . The neck is mahogany. I waited 2 months, it finally arrived last week. (quite a short wait comparing to other custom built)

Mr Shields engraved my name (I supplied the design) on the fret board so that I can never sell it unless I become famous one day. Look like I am finally ready for a life long commitment ! Mr Shields craftsmanship is impeccable as usual. This is my forth FS uke. One UU member bought my third one and ordered two more FS ukes after that. (yes Kathryn show yourself). She also has the twin of this pineapple and a big brother tenor !

The wood grain on this uke is very pretty and unique. Very light built. It's pretty much weightless. Here are some photos and a quick little tune to showcase it's voice. I have changed the strings to Aquila Red after I made this video though!

IMG_0500 2.jpg
    Fred1.jpg
    IMG_0535 2.jpgIMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    Last edited by SoloRule; 03-30-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Brenda, That’s a beauty. I really like that cherry wood. Great sound. You should be proud. Your own signature model as well. Congratulations!

Cliff

As long as my name has entered the public sphere, let me add that I also have a Fred Shields walnut/maple concert backpacker; it was my first FS. Fred's instruments are terrific.

Back to the topic at hand: lovely addition, Brenda!
    Kathryn

Quote Originally Posted by kvehe View Post
    As long as my name has entered the public sphere, let me add that I also have a Fred Shields walnut/maple concert backpacker; it was my first FS. Fred's instruments are terrific.

Back to the topic at hand: lovely addition, Brenda!
    Kathryn I don't think too many people have seen a backpack uke. Do you mind sharing photos here? Thanks

Sure; will do this evening (LOL, after I figure out how to do it - it's been a while). Thanks for asking.
    Kathryn

Great looking and sounding uke. Congratulations.

My Pocket(Backpacker) uke from Mr. Fred Shields should be coming soon.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

Joseph

Congratulations, Brenda, this one looks so uniquely cool, and great playing!
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

I had the great pleasure of playing this uke and it is really lovely. The curly cherry is some of the nicest I have seen. Cheery can be kinda dull and lifeless this has a great warm golden glow with fantastic grain. Too bad Brenda put her name on it or I might have stole it when she wasn't looking.

Hey Rainer I think this would be the perfect uke for Brenda to put in her suitcase and bring to Switzerland to show you!!!!
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-30-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Beautiful - sight and sound! Does Fred built to custom order only? How could someone contact him?

Cograts..nice uke! To my ear, cherry sounds about halfway between a mahogany and a spruce top.
    John

Thread Information