Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low-G Strings: Resources or List of Options?

I've sort of given up on buying non-wound strings for low-G on a soprano (Fremont black was too slack for a Kala Kiwi, IMO).

I plan on testing various Seaguar Blue (& perhaps Seaguar Premier) fishing lines over the next year or so for all strings, including Low-G, on various sizes.

I have an Outdoor Ukulele Moonshine w/ D'addario carbons on them, including a low-G, which has the same exact specs as Seaguar Blue 100lb & Seaguar Premier 130

Best non-wound I've found is a Savarez KF95. The KF95A pack will give you enough length for three low-Gs.

Thomastik-Inkfield makes the best wound string. I've got a CF35 on my baritone for the D, but I think the CF27 and 30 would be more appropriate for low-G pitch.
    Brad Bordessa
    Live 'Ukulele.com

I know Aquila sells a singular wound Low-G string, which I got accidentally after ordering an aquila string set for a soprano, and Amazon sent the wrong thing lol. I got to keep the g string for free, so I put it on my Luna Tattoo, and I absolutely love it. It gives it a more dark, rich and full tone, and really expands the musical potential of the ukulele!
    Don't forget that Uke'n do it!
    Check out my Ukulele YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvG...7AmdP6rUzbWrzg
    Road work ahead? Well I sure hope it does.

Pepe Romero sells low g sets with a smooth wound low g. I have them on my Beau Hannam and on my Moore Bettah. I'd call them medium tension. Well balanced and a nice feel on the fingers. I've also tried the Thomastik-Infeld 3rd and 4th strings with Oasis 1st and 2nd string and was well pleased.
    Craig

Beau Hannam Spiral Rosette tenor
    Moore Bettah tenor "Ki Uke"
    Kinnard mahogany tenor
    Koa Works tenor
    Koa Works concert
    Pohaku custom mahogany concert

Quote Originally Posted by CTurner View Post
    Pepe Romero sells low g sets with a smooth wound low g. I have them on my Beau Hannam and on my Moore Bettah. I'd call them medium tension. Well balanced and a nice feel on the fingers. I've also tried the Thomastik-Infeld 3rd and 4th strings with Oasis 1st and 2nd string and was well pleased.
    I think that's a La Bella. I had it on a uke and loved it. But right now I'm using Aquila Red unwound, and I like that too.
    Kala KA-ASAC acacia baritone
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    aNueNue Khaya I mahogany soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Thanks. Any sources other than stringsbymail.com ? Backordered...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    Best non-wound I've found is a Savarez KF95. The KF95A pack will give you enough length for three low-Gs.

Thomastik-Inkfield makes the best wound string. I've got a CF35 on my baritone for the D, but I think the CF27 and 30 would be more appropriate for low-G pitch.
    Last edited by Wukulele; 01-18-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Thread Information