Flight Travel Series TUS50 Soprano - REVIEW

Its the TUS 35, not the TUS 50 that Barry reviewed but for $22.70 shipped how could I pass it up :)
Slated for arrival Thursday, it will Immediately get Martin Fluorocarbons.

The heads up is much appreciated fowl.

Last edited:
Pretty much identical though save for the decoration on the top. Both are laminate tops like Fleas

Received mine today. Couldn’t help myself for under $23 at the time. It is surprisingly loud.

I have to spend more time with it, but it is really hard to classify. While there are several ABS or polycarbonate models on the market, this ukulele is diffent than the rest. It isn’t a fluke/flea, which would have a wood neck. It isn’t a dolphin/shark, which would also have a wood neck. It isn’t a Waterman or Bugsgear/Eddy Finn Beachcomer, as it has a laminate sound board. It isn’t an Outdoor Ukulele, as it is ABS and wood. And it certainly isn’t an EKoa.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this ukulele for anyone. I might not want it as a school instrument (groups) simply because it is so loud.

I don’t know what to think of the ABS neck yet. It has a synthetic grain that I don’t think I like. I’d prefer a smooth neck, I guess.

The gig bag is basically worthless. It’s a nice thought, I guess.

I think the most off-putting aspect of the ukulele is the painted finish...It just looks uneven on every Flight TUS35 that I have seen. If they could use a primer and a paint that would look smooth, I think they would have an even more desireable uke on their hands.

And of course, offer a concert scale model, too.

My TUS35 delivered today also, took a minimal amount of time for the Aquila’s to settle in but the Martins will go on tomorrow.
Didn’t get to spend a lot of time with it but at this point I absolutely second all of Choirguys thoughts.
What a fun little go anywhere Soprano.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve and Choirguy (and anyone else who changed the strings on their Flight TUS35 to Martin M-600’s ... I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the sound. Compared to the Aquila's, do the Martin strings make the Flight sound different in volume, tone, and sustain? And if so, can you describe the difference. I've been happy with the Aquila's on my own TUS35, but have been wondering if Martin strings would make the uke sound and play even better. So any feedback you have to offer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jan

The gig bag is basically worthless. It’s a nice thought, I guess.

As I understand it - the gig bag you get depends on who supplies the uke. Musicroom, Amazon etc come with a basic bag (black?) but if you order from Flight direct you get a much better quality cream coloured bag that isn't far off the quality of the soft bags that come with Martins

Scratch that - I believe Flight have now downgraded their bag to a thinner denim coloured type. That's a shame - the bag I received was really quite good!

Steve and Choirguy (and anyone else who changed the strings on their Flight TUS35 to Martin M-600’s ... I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the sound. Compared to the Aquila's, do the Martin strings make the Flight sound different in volume, tone, and sustain? And if so, can you describe the difference. I've been happy with the Aquila's on my own TUS35, but have been wondering if Martin strings would make the uke sound and play even better. So any feedback you have to offer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jan

My personal preference is to use Martin or other fluorocarbon strings. I just like the feel and have never been disappointed by the tone of a clear fluorocarbon. I also don’t mind the Aquila sugar strings. If all we had was Nylgut, I’d survive.

As for sound and tone, this ukulele is loud. I took out every one of my sopranos and nothing else I own matches the volume—Nylgut or fluorocarbon. Perhaps the Martin 600 strings clear up the higher frequencies of the ukulele.

Again, for me, I like the feel of Martin 600 strings. It might be worth the $7 to try a set and to see what you think.

Here's the TUS35 I just got in, next to my aNueNue. For $23.00 shipped, it's a ridiculous value. As others have said, it's loud, and the tone is perfectly fine; seems to sound as good as any Flea I've ever tried. I like it! Will probably try Martin M600 strings on there. Has anyone installed a strap button on the bottom? Not sure if there is anything behind the plastic there to hold a screw.

This one will be gifted to my daughter this Christmas. Now I want one for myself!

Flight.jpg

Interesting string discussion. Actually I find that I really like the sound and feel of nylgut strings, But I realize that is just a personal thing. I love Ukulele Underground. On here we can disagree without being disagreeable. Why can't the rest of society be like that? Just my two cents worth.

I have put strap buttons on two of these. No issues. I don't know if there's anything behind the plastic but the plastic itself has been holding well for--maybe a year? I figure if it ever gives out, glue--or something--is available as a solution. It really seems just fine.

I put Aquila Reds on mine and it sounds great.

Here's the TUS35 I just got in, next to my aNueNue. For $23.00 shipped, it's a ridiculous value. As others have said, it's loud, and the tone is perfectly fine; seems to sound as good as any Flea I've ever tried. I like it! Will probably try Martin M600 strings on there. Has anyone installed a strap button on the bottom? Not sure if there is anything behind the plastic there to hold a screw.

This one will be gifted to my daughter this Christmas. Now I want one for myself!

View attachment 113351

I put strap buttons on the bottom and on the flat part of the heel. I realize that doing so is at my own risk. On these ABS models, I put super glue in the drilled hole, on the screw, and on the button. I have also done this to a couple of other ukuleles, and it works well, but it will void any existing warranty.

I'll add another somewhat dubious but "works for me!" solution for strap buttons. I just straight up superglued two strap buttons to the back of my BugsGear soprano. The key is to glue it to the back, because the sides are too curved and the button doesn't have enough contact with the body to set properly. Glued to the back, I've had no issues, and regularly use a strap with the uke. It helps that it was only $30 and is made of ABS, so if it does fall it's less likely to break, and I'm less likely to be too upset even if it does.

Yes - did same as Choirguy on my Fluke - worked a treat and has lasted years

My apologies for he late response Jan D, have had a few life matters going on.
The Martin strings are a little louder and I feel like it enhances that Soprano punch. I prefer fluorocarbon strings over standard Aquila’s as I find them softer under my fingers and they allow you to achieve the same volume with a lighter, less heavy handed strum. Not that I dislike Aquila strings as I have Aquila Lavas on a laminated Tenor and when they need replacing I will go with them again. Just what sounds right on that particular ukulele.
The Martin strings are a bargain and worth a try on any ukulele.

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited:
I put strap buttons on the bottom and on the flat part of the heel. I realize that doing so is at my own risk. On these ABS models, I put super glue in the drilled hole, on the screw, and on the button. I have also done this to a couple of other ukuleles, and it works well, but it will void any existing warranty.

I will be trying this tomorrow afternoon. Happy to hear others have had success with this method.
Appreciate the information Choirguy.

A couple bits of info that you may not be aware of:

The Mahilele ABS-backed soprano uke is identical to the Flight TUS-35. I've owned them both and can attest, and I did a review back in 2017. For those who wish this had a wooden fretboard, Mahilele makes a version with that, and it's on Amazon in two versions, both with a horse on the soundboard. Although the description at Amazon doesn't say it's wood--and in fact says it's plastic--I checked with Mahilele (a division, I think, of Aquila) and they verified that it is wood. I'm happy with the plastic fretboard, but I know it's not to everyone's liking.

Also, right now you can get the TUS-50, on eBay for about $50 including shipping. Who knows how long that will last, or even if it's better or much different than the 35.

Top Bottom