If you play both re-entrant and linear

:cheers:Cheers, TobyDog! I am playing a bit of Daniel Ho as well! I just had to learn "Hana Mālie" as soon as I got myself strung up linear.

I like that one, too! Last night I played nothing but Pule Nahenahe (Soft Prayer). It's really pretty and not that difficult. I'd love to see Daniel Ho in concert, but he doesn't seem to come to the East coast.

I keep one tenor at Low-G, and my others re-entrant. Low G is not my go-to sound, but I like it for jazzy chords and bossa. The Low-G is a solid mahogany Lanakai, that I originally had trouble bonding with. We're old pals now.

I do enjoy my low G Concert for slower, more wistful and romantic songs of yesteryear (30s, 40s, 50s )
most recently I've been singing 'Faraway Places' in 3/4 slowly :)
I enjoy the more mellow sounds of a low G on those types of songs.

for brighter, louder songs I prefer my reentrant Sopranos and Longneck Sopranos.

just reporting what I do.

keep uke'in',

My first uke was a Mahogany Tenor which I have strung linear and I find it fits pretty much all purposes. But as I tried different ukes in stores I also wanted a re-entrant, so now have a KoAloha Concert with re-entrant strings. Though I started using this mainly for strumming 20s song I now also use it more and more for picking. It sure is great to have both handy.

For me, it depends on the uke. Of my 2 koa tenors, one I switch back and forth periodically because it seems happy with both. The other doesn't seem right with a high G, but sounds SO sweet and mellow with a low. I also try a lot of different string materials with my ukes until I find what they are most happy with. Low G Worth Browns for the CB semi-custom, high G clear for the other. The Recording King reso sounds horrible with fluorocarbon and tends not to sound right high G, but sings with Aquila Carbonblacks (now re-done by Martin) and a low G Aquila red. The Mya Moe I switch back and forth high G and low. I have enough ukes to switch out, so am not bothered by stretch time.

I sometimes like to tune my low G uke to GCEG and play it using a slide. I have a nice light ceramic slide that seems to work well on the uke. I also use it on the banjo tuned gDGBD, relatively the same tuning, but in G instead of C.

Since writing this I have put a low G on my reso-uke and it sounds good played with a slide in GCEG tuning.
Since the only low G string our local store had was an Aquila Red series, that's what I used. I bought the set, but so far have just swapped out the G string.

All of my sopranos are high g, the concert is low G and I just got a T1K strung high g so I could have tenors strung high and low. Might have to get another concert now.

I prefer high G and I like sopranos so that’s an easy fit.

But having recently started into MaxUke with Peter Luongo, we are required to play low G and either tenor or concert size so, aw shucks, I had to ask my favourite luthier to make me another uke...hahaha...

I string both ways. Always have. I primarily play long-neck tenors and I purchased them with the intention of dedicating each one to one tuning or the other.

My Kamaka has a spruce sound board and it is intended to be brighter and it is strung high G

My Yorkie (that's what I call my Rob Collins custom that was made in West Yorkshire) has a London plane sound board and it is low G to get all the warmth I can from it.

I greatly prefer Low G because I primarily play finger style and linear tuning gives me more options.

My Pono tenor that I play most of the time is low g, the Kala Tenor is high G. I find to helpful, as the educational videos seem to be high g on this site. Some music is written for high g as well.

Soprano tuned machete open g
Concert in c reentrant
Tenor in c reentrant (two)
Tenor in c linear
Baritone in c linear—I use this primarily for Renaissance guitar pieces
Baritone Nui in g linear that sounds SO sweet...

Top Bottom