Thread: Greetings from Long Beach, CA

Default Greetings from Long Beach, CA

Hi everyone-
    I've been lurking here for the better part of 2 months & thought I finally ought to register if only to voice my thanks for the wealth of information I've found on these pages which has been extraordinarily helpful as I embark on my ukulele odyssey.

Small bit of background-
    I used to play varied flutes, tin whistles & the like - then strayed altogether from music. I have a couple of acoustic guitars on hand but always had trouble getting beyond the initial pain, a few chords was all I could ever muster - probably would have been a better idea in hindsight to start out with a nylon stringed guitar.

Anyway, fast forward a bit - about 6 weeks ago I decided to buy a Ukulele pretty much on a whim ( the Donner concert in my sig line), stupidly cheap so a low risk transaction + I was guardedly hopeful that my fingers would soon both harden up & become more dexterous with that instrument.

A couple of observations a few more weeks into the experiment -

I'm playing the ukulele(s) ummm... they multiplied... A couple hours a day. My only limitation is not pain on the fretting fingers but rather when they get tired. The Ukes get a lot more attention than the guitars but certainly all 4 get played at least a little daily and the Guitar has also in fact benefited by getting over the hump with the uke.

I'm enjoying the journey so far; the Donner was a purchase made on a whim (~60 incl bag, tuner & extra "strings"), but as it turns out after the fact Baz had reviewed that same ukulele & on balance didn't think that badly of it. It is a decent starting point, much improved by Aquila Nylgut strings & even more improved by a set of Aquila red strings, at least as my ear is concerned. Why yes spending over 10% of the initial cost of the instrument on strings is absurd it does make a difference at least to my ear.

Then I had to get a tenor- Cordoba in sig. I like it a lot too, the difference in build & tone quality is apparent vs. the Donner since the Cordoba's MSRP is well over twice that of the donner & it shows.

...Yeah I get I'm totally entry level / laminate instruments here but ya gotta start somewhere. I also will use the Donner as a setup guinea pig (what's to lose?). Her intonation is pretty close actually but I'd like to lower the action a bit & as noted better to mess with low $$ things to learn with when if you really really screw it up - no great loss .

Then of course I decided I needed a soprano & one from Mim's ukes should be here in the next day or so - an Ohana referenced in my sig line that should at least in theory be a step up from the Cordoba etc. which I'm very excited about because setup! & also that laminate willow is darn pretty. The irony of that Ukulele being shipped from China to Long Beach (where Ohana is headquartered) to VA & back to Long Beach is not lost on me either. Sheesh I live about 10 minutes from Ohana's facility. Maybe I should try to talk them into a walkthru sometime...

There is a method to my madness- I'm learning 15 chords or so at the moment that I want to apply to a few songs I like- that's right just chords, getting them clean, transitioning between them , some arpeggio, some strumming but mostly just teaching my fingers & ear as I go.

Having multiple sized instruments helps- I just practice on the smallest until my fingers get a little tired, then move up a size - rinse / repeat and pretty soon I end up with a couple hours practice a day easy peasy.
    SO why yes- I'm having fun,

Thanks everyone for this resource, I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community.
    Bests,

Jon

Ohana Soprano SK15WG (willow laminate, gloss)
    Donner Concert DUC 3
    Cordoba Tenor 15TM

Welcome to UU Jon
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Welcome to UU.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Bruce Wei Hummingbird, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Hello Jon, welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like you played a little ITM?
    Ever been to the Old Dubliner session on Pine St.?

I've been on much the same journey as you, ukulele wise. I too have a Donner, its actually pretty nice for the money.
    Though I did sand down the bottom of the nut to lower the action and I changed the strings to martin m600.
    There are a ton of strum alongs in Southern California, if you want to play with folks.

Welcome, again.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Welcome Jon, I think you will like it here. A lot of good information and ukulele talk, but more importantly a lot of good people. Enjoy the journey.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Kamaka HF-4 Baritone C Linear Tuning 6/2009
    Martin C-1K Concert, Bb Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Kala KA SRMT-TRI Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/1/2015
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Re-entrant Tuning 6'21'2016

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Hello Jon, welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like you played a little ITM?
    Ever been to the Old Dubliner session on Pine St.?

I've been on much the same journey as you, ukulele wise. I too have a Donner, its actually pretty nice for the money.
    Though I did sand down the bottom of the nut to lower the action and I changed the strings to martin m600.
    There are a ton of strum alongs in Southern California, if you want to play with folks.

Welcome, again.
    Hey thank all for the Welcome. @Maki166 why yes ITM is in my background. I'll PM ya for local stuff.
    Bests,

Jon

Donner Concert DUC 3
    Cordoba Tenor 15TM

I too am new here Jon......welcome! I like you started to play a guitar after a lifelong want to do so when I was near my mid 30's. Just too old I believe to master the 6 strings or might I say, I was just not progressing like I wanted. Maybe my expectation was more. I saw your flute mention. I also play the Native American styled flute and have 4 on hand, two of which are custom made.

I too am looking to begin fresh with the uke in the hopes that patience as I near 50 years of age may be the key! Glad to have you here as a newbie like me.

Welcome to the forums, Jon!!

@ Michael70
    yeah man - I'm 56 - this journey is fun right?
    Bests,

Jon

Donner Concert DUC 3
    Cordoba Tenor 15TM

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    Welcome Jon, I think you will like it here. A lot of good information and ukulele talk, but more importantly a lot of good people. Enjoy the journey.
    @ jjfn - I do already like it here hence my multi week lurking- seems like a great community here & I hope to positively contribute to it someday.
    Bests,

Jon

Donner Concert DUC 3
    Cordoba Tenor 15TM

Thread Information