gCEA - Why the Small G?

Boy, this is an old thread. When I saw the question, I was about to answer it, but then I saw that I was the one who posted it. :D

I always just say reentrant and assume that unless someone is off immersed in some weird reentrant tuning world they know what I'm talking about.

OK, The obvious reason for a lower case g is because it's lower than the upper case CEA. :eek: - Or maybe that's just the way I try to remember it. :confused:

I'm just getting more and more confused!

The minuscule G is used because in ASCII and Unicode, the minuscule G has a higher value than the capital G. The higher value corresponds to the higher pitch of the minuscule G. And somehow instrumental notationists in the middle ages anticipated this.

....it's simple.....

......upper case has been used for linear tuning for centuries......

....therefore, they needed a way to differenciate re entrant tuning....

......therefore the lower case letters....

My first thought was "because like guitar you know".

Guitar strings are often called EADGBe. I dont know why, but is seems fair to me that the smaller size brings a higher pitch.
Hence seeing gCEA written, I immideately think high G.
If someone writes GCEA, I will still feel that I need to look at circumstances to determine if it refers to high or low G, since reentrant is standard and not everyone comply to the same conventions.

When you sort words alphabetically, you start with the uppercase letters.
Lowercase letter are higher in the order
A B C D E F G ... a b c d e f g ...
Music typesetting systems use that convention (ABC, lilypond, ...)

I agree with lowercase 'g' indicating re-entrant tuning. Uppercase 'G' indicates linear.

But, to confuse things even more:
My understanding for the more common tuning for an 8-string is: gG cC EE AA. High-g, Low-G, High-c, Low-C, Standard-EE, Standard-AA.

Last edited:
My first thought was "because like guitar you know".

Guitar strings are often called EADGBe. I dont know why, but is seems fair to me that the smaller size brings a higher pitch.
Hence seeing gCEA written, I immideately think high G.
If someone writes GCEA, I will still feel that I need to look at circumstances to determine if it refers to high or low G, since reentrant is standard and not everyone comply to the same conventions.

I guess this makes more sense because like I was saying, too many books, vids, etc list GCEA as a basic ukulele tuning. At this point I play my ukes in low g so I guess it doesn't matter. A chord's a chord anyway. Since I do a lot of finger picking, I like the linear tuning better.
I had no other instrument training to know about the naming conventions the guitar players use. The small g made sense to me as low g because it was the only note tuned differently than the others. Oy.
After reading all of these I guess I've learned something... kinda, sorta, maybe lol.

Top Bottom