Uke's tuning that hits the sweet spot vs strings

As a lifetime drummer who can't quickly and instinctively transpose, I like to stay tuned to GCEA so that I can jump in with other musicians on the spur of the moment and not have to do the transposition calculations ("OK, so a D is really a G and a C is really a ....") for every chord. However, all of my ukes (most of which are cheapies) sound much better at higher tunings.

Joel's method worked for me: singing an ascending run of notes into the soundhole, until you get to a note that really makes the uke resonate, then try tuning to that. I did it on a spruce top concert, which was already pretty nice, but not a knockout. When I tried this, it really resonated bigtime at F#, which would be the 4th string in a B tuning. I dropped all the strings down a half step to B tuning, and the difference was very noticeable: a much sweeter tone, and seemingly louder too. In my quest for better sound, I had been thinking of changing the Worth Brown strings, but it sounds so good, I'm gonna just leave it alone for awhile, and enjoy it. I mostly play/sing solo, so matching up tunings with others is not an issue. Thanks for that tip!

Next, I was planning on trying a set of high G strings on my vintage Martin soprano, but might try Joel's method first on that one too.

Last edited:
I would like to thank kerneltime for starting this thread. About 10 years ago a I tuned my only ukulele to Bb but then tuned it up to C so I could play with others. Over the years I have struggled with all sorts of strings to make my ukes sound as good as possible when tuned to C.

A few weeks ago I decided to go back to Bb tuning on that uke. From there moved onto another 4 more ukuleles that are now tuned to B or Bb. It is amazing the change of hitting the sweet spot, so to speak, and how much more enjoyable they are. Not that they sounded bad before, but there were those nagging notes that sounded a bit choked and the whole instrument just sounds more open. Especially for playing fingerstyle.

I still have a few that I will leave tuned to C for those times I play with others.

This thread, and a recent opportunity to play a few stellar ukuleles tuned down, gave me a kick in the pants to re-visit my approach to setting up my ukuleles. So, thanks again!

John

I sometimes wonder if this has to do more with lower string tension and more sustain which some folks like ratherc than the lower tuning have something to do with an inherent resonant frequency of a ukulele. I am planning to use d tuning strings for c tuning as an experiment.

Question for folks in the thread:

Let's say the node D on the C string or G on the E string sounds a particular way on a ukulele but when I tune it up or down the note moves around on the fret board and the string tensions change.. When some one claims that their ukulele sounds better tuned up or down and the note D or G now sounds much better.. I struggle to see what it has to with the resonance of the body vs the dynamics of the strings (Tension , sympathetic vibrations..)

Is the tuning up or down of the ukulele have more to do with the inherent resonance of the body vs the dynamics of the string in relation to the body..

I am guessing this is a complex topic with no clear answer as the number of moving parts are too many when one changes the tuning.

That said, I am planning to try D strings on a C tuning to see if the changes in tension have the same impact over the selection of tuning..

Opinions? Experiences/Anecdotes? Definitive stands?

Joel Eckhaus demonstrates his method of determining resonance at 4:35 of this video. I tried it, and my tenors seemed be be most resonant at B, so I tuned the ukes down to B, and they sounded better. Some like B flat, but it seems a bit too low for my style, and my vocals.

...Is the tuning up or down of the ukulele have more to do with the inherent resonance of the body vs the dynamics of the string in relation to the body..

I am guessing this is a complex topic with no clear answer as the number of moving parts are too many when one changes the tuning.

I'm sure it is much more complex, but for me string tension can be too low where it feels floppy or too high where the soundboard seems to be getting choked. When playing the overall sound seems tight and not fluid, which are probably not good terms, seems to improve with tuning down.

Changing strings changes tension. Thinner strings may reduce tension, but adversely effect the tone. On the other hand it could improve it, I've had that happen. But balancing out the tension, as well as possible, is also a key and not just swapping one or two strings.

In the end I think there is a resonance and a soundboard build that seems to intersect when tension and tuning comes together. For my totally unscientific approach, the volume is better and the sustain improves.

John

Top Bottom