Tell us about your best sounding ukulele..

Congratulations!! Where do you find these?

Thank you :)

It's by a maker called Eichii Sumi and his brand is Sumi Kobo. He is a Japanese luthier who builds without CNC machinery I believe but more traditional hand tools. I saw this and feel in love with it, previous Sumis had slipped through my fingers whilst I was making my mind up and then this popped up. This had a small crack in the gloss on the back that happened on its travels overseas so was sold at a discount.
Sumi and other Japanese luthiers make such beautiful instruments. While my Takumi is not a custom, the workmanship and tone are beautiful. Congrats on your Sumi

Hands down has to be my Sumi, sinker cedar front, zircote back and sides.
Has a wonderful slightly dark undertone, very complex sounding.
Wows me every time I play it.
View attachment 122204View attachment 122205View attachment 122206View attachment 122207

Wonderful looking Uke. I have also been looking at the Sumi’s. I would be interested to know how the Uke feels in terms of playability. I also have a UT200, so maybe in comparison to that one. What would you say about the general build and finish of the Sumi?

Sumi and other Japanese luthiers make such beautiful instruments. While my Takumi is not a custom, the workmanship and tone are beautiful. Congrats on your Sumi

I love my Takumi concert. I stupidly put it up for sale twice earlier this year after I got my Martin concert thinking that I didnt want 2 hog concerts and wanting to try something else. Thankfully it didn't sell which gave me time to reconsider and pull the listing. Maybe something else will catch my fancy more at some point but for now I cant imagine selling it. It is a beautiful sounding instrument. It doesn't have the bark that I sometimes want (my Martin does) but it is so resonant across the tonal spectrum and super sensitive to then lightest touch.It somehow manages to have some really nice sparkling/shimmering highs to it but without sounding bright or harsh. Lovely uke.

Wonderful looking Uke. I have also been looking at the Sumi’s. I would be interested to know how the Uke feels in terms of playability. I also have a UT200, so maybe in comparison to that one. What would you say about the general build and finish of the Sumi?

Thank you :) The Sumi is wonderful to play, very comfortable. Mine has a gloss neck but it's so subtle it feels like satin. It feels a bit thinner but longer in the body than the moon bird, although I haven't directly measured them to compare. If I was forced to keep only one, although I love the moon bird, the Sumi would win.

Sorry, that's not overly specific. If there's something in particular you were wondering, feel free to pm me and ask :)

I love my Takumi concert. I stupidly put it up for sale twice earlier this year after I got my Martin concert thinking that I didnt want 2 hog concerts and wanting to try something else. Thankfully it didn't sell which gave me time to reconsider and pull the listing. Maybe something else will catch my fancy more at some point but for now I cant imagine selling it. It is a beautiful sounding instrument. It doesn't have the bark that I sometimes want (my Martin does) but it is so resonant across the tonal spectrum and super sensitive to then lightest touch.It somehow manages to have some really nice sparkling/shimmering highs to it but without sounding bright or harsh. Lovely uke.

That describes them really well! I was surprised how well the takumi soprano I played held its own against a tenor!

That describes them really well! I was surprised how well the takumi soprano I played held its own against a tenor!

I definitely hear a similar tonality in the recordings of the sops I've heard. There is a distinct high end that comes through but its somehow not bright or harsh. Those highs come through strong but they have a very pretty, delicate sound to them. I've been tempted to post a WTB for a TS-1m sop, but as much as I like my concert I dont think that's the tonality I personally want in a sop. I want some bark! That's one if the cool things about KoAloha sops. They can be very pretty and delicate sounding but they can also bark like crazy. I have a Rebel double creme sop arriving Monday, my impression and hope from recordings is that it will warm but able to bark when wanted.

Top Bottom