Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your best sounding ukulele..

Quote Originally Posted by olphart View Post
    I've had two high end Ponos among a few cheaper ukes, trying to find the perfect one for me. I never bonded with either. not sure why.
    I now have a Koaloha Opio that I love to play. The sound for me is sweet and mellow with the stock strings ..Low G. The action makes it a treat to play and it ends up on my lap every day.
    Update! My Opio is in second place now.
    I fell off the UAS wagon.....huge! Went and got the beautiful Rebel Particle #12 after hearing several sound samples. While not hugely expensive compared to say a Beau Hannan, it was a lot more than I'd ever paid and the exchange rate killed me, but I just had to have this uke.
    HMS set it up low g and low action. I think I drove poor Corey crazy by the time they sent it out.
    I just love the sweet tone and projection.. I've liked the sound of some of my ukes, especially the Opio, but my Rebel just sings to me. It almost plays itself...

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    Giving this thread a bump to see what replies folks have.
    As for me, I have been on a UAS spree.
    Soprano: Vintage Style 3K, Ken Timms Cuban Mahagony.
    Tenor: Spruce MBU, Last new batch of Collings, Hive redwood.
    Baritone: Les Stansell
    Thanks for giving this thread a bump. My favorite sounding right now is the Koaloha KTM for the tenor, a Graziano Selmer or the Takumi mahogany for the concert and the Martin Style 2 Soprano for the Soprano. Of the 4 my favorites for strictly sound are the first the Koaloha KTM and the Martin Style 2 Soprano.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Lately, I've been listening to my BFF's new LoPrinzi uke that I designed for her. It's dynamic, from top to bottom, but really quiet compared to my Cocobolo uke. We like to drum on them for percussion in some songs, and hers sounds like a tree trunk, compared to mine.
    Maybe maple and spruce are meant to be bowed, not strummed....
    Maybe Donna will build my next uke with Cocobolo wood, the stuff really sings. Donna's ukes are feather light!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Soprano: Kiwaya KTS-7
    Only after I played the Kiwaya next to my previous soprano purchase (and current travel uke), a Martin S-1, did I notice how incredibly full and balanced the sound is compared to the Martin while still having that typical soprano jangle. I love it.

Banjo uke: Gibson UB-1
    No other modern banjo uke I've tried comes even close to replicating the bright and crisp vintage banjo uke sound of this beauty, and this is the absolute smallest and cheapest model of the Gibson banjo ukes. I had to count my lucky stars when I got my hands on this one. The tiny fretboard takes some getting used to, but regardless this is my most precious piece of my uke collection, no doubt.

I’m really enjoying my ko’olau. You don’t see too many of them though on this forum.

I'm in a bit of a quandry--right now, it's a toss up between my Martin C1K and my Kremona Coco.

The Martin Premium strings really bring out the warm Hawaiian sound of the solid koa on the C1K, and it sounds great.
    The Coco is a new addition, so I haven't settled on which strings I like best for the solid cedar top and Indian rosewood back and sides. I'm using the Martin Premiums, for now, to better compare with the C1K, and the Coco is exhibiting some deeper overtones not found with the C1K.

I think once I find the right strings to compliment the Coco, it may be my best sounding uke.
    Adam

C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Martin M610 Premium Polygut Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Custom Seaguar Mix (STS Salmon & Premier)
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - Worth Brown Tenor + Fremont Soloist Low G
    Outdoor Blue Nickel Soprano - Aurora Green Strings Soprano
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

Hands down has to be my Sumi, sinker cedar front, zircote back and sides.
    Has a wonderful slightly dark undertone, very complex sounding.
    Wows me every time I play it.
    Screenshot_20191018-181946_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-182010_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-182057_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-182038_Gallery.jpg
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    Hands down has to be my Sumi, sinker cedar front, zircote back and sides.
    Has a wonderful slightly dark undertone, very complex sounding.
    Wows me every time I play it.
    Screenshot_20191018-181946_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-182010_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-182057_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-182038_Gallery.jpg
    very pretty! What’s the story behind the purchase? Never heard of this brand. Googling..

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    very pretty! What’s the story behind the purchase? Never heard of this brand. Googling..
    Thank you

It's by a maker called Eichii Sumi and his brand is Sumi Kobo. He is a Japanese luthier who builds without CNC machinery I believe but more traditional hand tools. I saw this and feel in love with it, previous Sumis had slipped through my fingers whilst I was making my mind up and then this popped up. This had a small crack in the gloss on the back that happened on its travels overseas so was sold at a discount.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    Thank you

It's by a maker called Eichii Sumi and his brand is Sumi Kobo. He is a Japanese luthier who builds without CNC machinery I believe but more traditional hand tools. I saw this and feel in love with it, previous Sumis had slipped through my fingers whilst I was making my mind up and then this popped up. This had a small crack in the gloss on the back that happened on its travels overseas so was sold at a discount.
    Congratulations!! Where do you find these?

Thread Information