Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sopranino Case - Radical Idea

Default Sopranino Case - Radical Idea

This isn't really radical, and I just might try it. Rather than try to find a case for my sopranino, I think I will use a soprano case. Since the case is too large for that little fella, how can I pad the inside? Spray foam!

You've probably received items that were packed in foam that was a perfect fit for them. They do that by shooting expanding foam into a bag and having it expand around the object. I wonder if that would work for a ukulele case. Getting the right amount of foam would be the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_bYIWl9g4

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    I have used this method to build a twin ukulele case, it works very well. I have also used it many times to form body hugging seat inserts for race cars including my own (when I was still young enough to hit the track)
    Excellent! So there is foam under that fuzzy material? How did you get it so flat?

Clever. I'll have to experiment.

As much fun as spray foam sounds, have you considered foam for furniture? You can cut it with an electric knife or scissors and you won't have to build a form or anything. Just or trace, carve, and insert. Rinse and repeat as needed.

http://www.joann.com/project-foam-24...shions&start=1
    My Ukuleles
    KoAloha Naupaka soprano
    KoAloha Noah sopranino
    DJ Morgan Mini Pineapple
    Luna Pearl concert
    Cocobolo concert #384 (Teak!)

Also, you used to be able to buy blocks of foam that you could remove small squares from to fit various items.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Also, you used to be able to buy blocks of foam that you could remove small squares from to fit various items.
    I've used that for a camera bag, and it's a real nuisance cutting those blocks apart and getting things to fit right.

Quote Originally Posted by derbyhat View Post
    As much fun as spray foam sounds, have you considered foam for furniture? You can cut it with an electric knife or scissors and you won't have to build a form or anything. Just or trace, carve, and insert. Rinse and repeat as needed.

http://www.joann.com/project-foam-24...shions&start=1
    That's an idea. However, when I add the cost of a soprano case to the cost of that foam, I could buy a sopranino case - when they're back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That's an idea. However, when I add the cost of a soprano case to the cost of that foam, I could buy a sopranino case - when they're back in stock.
    Sigh. Logic defeats me again.
    My Ukuleles
    KoAloha Naupaka soprano
    KoAloha Noah sopranino
    DJ Morgan Mini Pineapple
    Luna Pearl concert
    Cocobolo concert #384 (Teak!)

Quote Originally Posted by derbyhat View Post
    Sigh. Logic defeats me again.
    Logic? I have thirty-eight ukuleles, and I'm just now starting to find some I can bear to part with.

I bought an Enya tenor for $54 and then spend about $150 converting it into a resonator. Logic and hobbies don't play well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Logic? I have thirty-eight ukuleles, and I'm just now starting to find some I can bear to part with.
    Did you have to build an extra room to hold all of them, or do you disperse them equally around the house?

Thread Information