Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Motivates You to Practice?

Default What Motivates You to Practice?

What motivates you to practice? I don't mean just playing stuff you already know and enjoy, but keeping your skills sharp and learning new things. Do you have a specific practice routine? A special approach that motivates you?

Coffee shop gigs and busking. I don't have a practice routine, except I practice most every afternoon. No time limit, I play as long as I feel like it and I work on whatever needs improvement. But I am always trying to add something to my play list, or to do what is there better. I try to get a little fancier each time. I do a gig or go out busking, and afterwards I have a list of things that I want to do better next time. I would find it hard to stay interested if it wasn't for that. I would have no direction. I would just be lost. I have a gig tonight. It is the downtown music walk, and I am playing in a clothing store. People go from store to store, listen to the music, then vote for who they like the best. I've been getting ready for six weeks. It has driven me, and it will drive me for a while afterwards too. Tomorrow I will wake up thinking that I can do better and when I get the chance I'll go down to the basement and start working on it again. I'll add, it is not just the ukulele playing, it is everything. Singing, presence, equipment, everything factors into it. So when I practice my ukulele, I'm usually practicing it with that thought in mind. But I'm always practicing and looking forward towards the next time.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

The Seasons challenges - they're good to get you out of your rut.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

The Seasons of the Ukulele.
    When you don't play gigs, and practicing just to play for yourself isn't rewarding enough, the seasons gives a good motivation for learning new tunes.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

An upcoming performance and fear of making a fool of myself. Tomorrow morning I am going to make my solo Open Mic debut. I have done open mic’s with a group, performed with a group but tomorrow it’s just me and the ukulele on stage. I have been practicing the song every day for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    An upcoming performance and fear of making a fool of myself. Tomorrow morning I am going to make my solo Open Mic debut. I have done open mic’s with a group, performed with a group but tomorrow it’s just me and the ukulele on stage. I have been practicing the song every day for two weeks.
    Good luck to you. I hope that it goes well.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Good luck to you. I hope that it goes well.
    Thanks, It’s a tolerant crowd. I still want to do well. I think I’ll go practice now.

When I found a song that I like. I just play and play all day long. I don’t set a time on how long I need to practise. I simply play until I am satisfied with the result!
    Sometime I will make a video and post it here ! I usually never play the song again once the video is made !
    Then it’s time to move onto the next song !
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

This sounds kind of like me. I come across a song I like, thatís got something new or challenging, and I play it a lot. I attend a weekly workshop where I learn new stuff. I also play in my church band, so I have new music to practice for Sundays. Overall, I just like to play. My day isnít complete if I donít play one of my ukes for at least 30 minutes every day. I often play at bedtime to relax.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I remember my first solo performance, i practiced that song so much I could do it standing on my head. Rememeber to smile and have fun, you'll do great.

Break a leg Cliff.......are you playing your baritone?

Much like Rllink live performances motivate me to practice. Also like Solorule and Raftergirl when I discover a song that makes me say "Love it, I HAVE to learn that one" I get obsessed and learn it. New songs always seem to contain something new which add to your pallet of skills
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information