Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Solo Open Mic

Default First Solo Open Mic

Our ukulele group meets every Sat morning. The first Saturday each month we have a couple of Open Mic performances. I have played in a group at these Open Mics but never as a solo act. Today I did it. I played and sang all by myself. I was not perfect by a long way but I got through the song and survived. I had fun. I’ll do it again one day.

DownUpDave, I played my Cedar topped Baritone. I played “Ukulele Blister” by Shane McAlister. It’s a good thing I knew the song well because I really couldn’t see the music because the Microphone was in the way.

I know many of you perform all the time. But this was a first for me/

Bravo Cliff, that’s a huge accomplishment & something that will hopefully bring happy memories for years to come
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Good for you. I have not been that brave yet. Even playing solo for friends can freak me out.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Our ukulele group meets every Sat morning. The first Saturday each month we have a couple of Open Mic performances. I have played in a group at these Open Mics but never as a solo act. Today I did it. I played and sang all by myself. I was not perfect by a long way but I got through the song and survived. I had fun. I’ll do it again one day.

DownUpDave, I played my Cedar topped Baritone. I played “Ukulele Blister” by Shane McAlister. It’s a good thing I knew the song well because I really couldn’t see the music because the Microphone was in the way.

That is cool. Everyone has a first time.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Congrats! Keep doing it...it gets easier and more fun! I'm off to my benefit gig tonight 8-12pm

Way to go! Playing music in front of people is awesome. And by awesome, I mean a combination of great fun and sheer terror!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Steedy View Post
    Way to go! Playing music in front of people is awesome. And by awesome, I mean a combination of great fun and sheer terror!
    Very true. It was a rush. I was more worried about the singing then the playing. I picked an easy song for my debut. Next time I may go for some chord melody, no singing but more ukulele technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post

Congratulations, I am very proud of you. So great to hear you got through unscathed and will do it again. It is nice that you did it with a baritone. I usually perform with one of my low G tenors but I did two instrumental pieces at our Uke Jam Christmas gathering with a baritone. I will have to use a baritone on stage more often. Congratulations again
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Congrats! Nothing beats the rush of your first performance! I still get adrenalized from performing but i hear it is supposed to get better over time.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Awesome, Osprey! Keep it up! It's fun, in between outings, to ask yourself, "Is there one thing in particular that I can do to improve on my performance next time out?" Then, each new outing presents an opportunity to fine-tune things, be they substantive in nature (actual singing/playing) or perhaps things of a more "logistical" nature (vocal mic placement, for instance). Hoping you'll keep on keepin' on !!
    Last edited by Bill Sheehan; 04-07-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: tweaked a phrase

Thread Information