A question about changing tuners on a possible new purchase.

JohnRC

Reaction score
I am looking at a used 2010 Kamaka soprano that is in beautiful shape. It has been played a lot, looks brand new but has been well cared for. I love the sound and it is easy to play.

It has one to one peg tuners originally specked on it that are good but they seem to make the uke feel very top heavy. I have looked at the various videos about changing to Gotoh 4 to 1 tuners.

If I make the tuner change, will there end up being much of a difference in weight?

Thanks,
John

I swapped out the Schaller tuners on my 2007 Kamaka HF1 to the Gotoh UPTs. Definitely felt a little lighter, but the ease of use is wonderful. Be sure to measure the headstock beforehand. The thickness was at the max for the UPTs, and the start of specs the longer UPTLs. Most would recommend the UPTLs, but the UPTs did manage to install with a very small amount of post showing on the face plate.

I am looking at a used 2010 Kamaka soprano that is in beautiful shape. It has been played a lot, looks brand new but has been well cared for. I love the sound and it is easy to play.

It has one to one peg tuners originally specked on it that are good but they seem to make the uke feel very top heavy. I have looked at the various videos about changing to Gotoh 4 to 1 tuners.

If I make the tuner change, will there end up being much of a difference in weight?

Thanks,
John

Friction tuners weight less than the Gotoh UPT tuners. So you will be adding weight to the headstock if you install the UPT not subtracting weight.

I am certain those massive Schallers were heavier than the UPTs, but I could be wrong.

The bolts/screws that hold the twisters on are huge. The slot would fit some pretty big screw drivers. I am guessing they are heavy.
John

John: Just to let you know there are several posts about installing the UPTs on the forum--including one from me. Its easy process with the right tool (ie. Quality reamer).

Top Bottom