Convert 6 string to 3 or 4 string

Darylmesa

Reaction score
Hi there I am trying to find how to convet a 6 string folk guitar to a 3 or 4 chord guitar like the one used by Caspar Babypants...aka Chris Ballew..with the least amount of modifications. The only tutorials I can find are for electric guitar and especially with a slide...like transe wonder by Seasick Steve

Thanks for all help
Daryl

I've never done this, but...
Couldn't you buy a nut and bridge, turn them over and cut new slots where you want the strings?

If you go to the babypants web site and look at the photos, you will see him with different guitars in the photos, and it looks to me like he made very little (if any) modifications to the guitar other than removing strings, and maybe using the slots for the 4-highest pitched strings or maybe the middle-3 or middle-4 string positions.

Literally anyone can do this too. If moving the thicker wound strings 'down' in the positions (towards the floor when holding the guitar) you may have to widen the nut slots in order to prevent the string from 'binding' in the slot and not moving past the nut when tuning.

caspar-babypants-4-credit-brian-kasnyik.jpg

b:W1sic2l6ZSIsInBob3RvIl1d.jpg

caspar-babypants-12-credit-brian-kasnyik.jpg

caspar-babypants-5-credit-brian-kasnyik.jpg

See more here: https://www.babypantsmusic.com/photos

Am wondering why you'd want to do this? From the photos, looks like he moved the top 3 strings downward several spots. Couldn't you just ignore the 3 higher strings?

Curious about the benefits of doing this.

Because honestly I am rubbish at playing guitar. Ukulele no problem, so strumming and rhythm is quite good. Yet, the 6 strings are too much for my fat fingers. I don’t really like the sound of the open g tuning and others with the 6 strings.

Because honestly I am rubbish at playing guitar. Ukulele no problem, so strumming and rhythm is quite good. Yet, the 6 strings are too much for my fat fingers. I don’t really like the sound of the open g tuning and others with the 6 strings.

So why don't you just remove some strings like he did in the photos in my previous post above?

Did you see that post?

There was a songbook back from the 70s or 80s that sold converted guitars and they made them into 8 string guitars DdGgBBEE. The nut and bridge/saddle would be custom - maybe you could get by with a 12 string bridge. Maybe get a luthier to do the conversion. This way the guitar neck is the same width and will not need to be modified. Play then as a baritone. For that matter a baritone would work just fine from the sound of what you write.

There was a songbook back from the 70s or 80s that sold converted guitars and they made them into 8 string guitars DdGgBBEE. The nut and bridge/saddle would be custom - maybe you could get by with a 12 string bridge. Maybe get a luthier to do the conversion. This way the guitar neck is the same width and will not need to be modified. Play then as a baritone. For that matter a baritone would work just fine from the sound of what you write.

I agree with You 100% about a baritone...the thing is that I already have the guitar...plus 3 ukes.

Hi there I am trying to find how to convet a 6 string folk guitar to a 3 or 4 chord guitar like the one used by Caspar Babypants...aka Chris Ballew..with the least amount of modifications. The only tutorials I can find are for electric guitar and especially with a slide...like transe wonder by Seasick Steve

Thanks for all help
Daryl

The easiest thing to do is buy a Cigar Box Guitar, they are purpose built with either 3 or 4 strings. They are also cheap as chips to buy :D and very easy to play.

Top Bottom