Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better ways to carry music lightly

Default Better ways to carry music lightly

When I’m out walking in the local fields, woods and hills I’d like to have a Uke and some music with me. My Soprano is light enough and, though I love it, loss or damage to it wouldn’t matter money wise. My iPad, on which I carry my music, is another matter and I really don’t want to risk it ‘on the trail’.

Committing things to memory wouldn’t be practical for me. Taking a copy of The Daily Uke is ruled out on weight grounds and taking single sheet copies doesn’t seem very ecological, and they’ll likely get blown away by any passing the breeze too.

Any experiences to share or suggestions for better ways to carry music lightly?
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 04-10-2018 at 07:20 PM.

I don't see any other way to be light weight carrying music than a tablet. There are a variety of light weight sleeves or shoulder bags for the iPad that would add protection.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I use sheets of good old-fashioned paper in clear plastic envelopes. The sheets of paper go back into a "central filing system" when I want a change of repertoire ... I've not yet met a "passing breeze" that'd blow away a sheet of paper with a rock on it

Any sheets of paper that do, for whatever reason, exceed their use-by date can be recycled into the usual waste paper recovery system ... a lot more ecologically friendly than the electricity usage and batteries in a tablet!

There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

It may be an excellent opportunity to noodle/improvise according to the surroundings
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Buy something cheap and small like an Amazon Fire Tablet to use instead of your iPad, or go online and find a cheap iPad Air if you need to stay within the Apple ecosystem.

I have an exercise book with some tunes I want to learn written in it, I use my own form of shorthand notation, the note letter, & if it is in another octave, I add a superscript or subscript to it.

Though I don't go wandering around with it, it would be easy enough to do so.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

How about a think three-ring binder with half a dozen songs? It would weigh less than your uke.

At home I usually jot down the song on a small piece of paper. I carry them around in my pocket. Why not take a picture of the paper on your phone. I always have my cell phone. You could even email it to yourself and create folders in your email account to organize music if you want hundreds of songs accessible.

I have an E-reader which is very light (80g) and cheap (80€), much more than any tablet, and also lasts longer on a single battery charge (if you use it for a few hours every day, it won't need charging for a week or even 10 days). Other advantages are that they are much easier to read in full sunlight (very sharp, like paper) or at night (mine has a backlight), not prone to breaking in a rucksack (no glass involved) and are easy on the eyes (they don't tire you out as a blue screen does).

Downsides of an E-reader as a sheet music carrier is that going back and forth is a drag (slow refreshment of the page, unless it's the ones just before or after) and that only the small formats (A5 - 8" across) are affordable - the big ones are 600 € and more. So it's rather small, and although you can zoom in that's not handy unless some else will be your pageturner.

I don't have the 'daily' books as ebooks (epub-format), but I do have the 'ukulele fakebook', which is a combination of both 'daily' books. And there are tons of songbooks availabe for free in pdf-format, or jpg, or whatever - I have all genres, instrumental tabs and chord sheets, binders full or then, which I carry around in this flimsy notebook-like e-reader. But I have good Eyesight, and can play given only a few clues.

Quote Originally Posted by NoyBoy98 View Post
    Buy something cheap and small like an Amazon Fire Tablet to use instead of your iPad, or go online and find a cheap iPad Air if you need to stay within the Apple ecosystem.
    I was going to suggest the same thing, I have an Insignia 10" tablet, I got off of ebay for $60 with a nice case that converts to a stand, use it for all my music. Music is on a micro SD card, so, easy to plug into the computer and transfer/manage song sheets. It's basic and slow to start up, but works just as well for me as other people and their "fancy" and expensive ipads.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Thread Information