sensor for electric uke

Esy

Reaction score
I wana to build Tenor stratocaster ukulele, and now i am looking for good sensors for use on them.
Anybody know good store where I can buy it? Good prize/quality

If you're using metal strings, you can put ANY kind of pickup in it you want. If you want the option to switch between metal and nylon, theres lots of already made piezo pickups out there. However, you CAN make a really nice one pretty easily. Check out this link:

http://www.fittell.id.au/piezo/

Well are you sure that a Bigsby Tremolo works for Ukuleles? Isn't the Ukulele too short for it?

Oh didn't know that, I'm not too fit in the whole guitar subject. So whats the difference to a Telecaster then?

Oh didn't know that, I'm not too fit in the whole guitar subject. So whats the difference to a Telecaster then?
Bof, Apples and Oranges really...
The Telecaster has a single cut away body style. Strat is double cut away.

Tele has just two pickups rather than three on the Strat.

The 2 pickups on the Tele are both different from each other and have their unique sound.

The strat has 3 pickups which are the same.

The tele has a 3 position toggle switch (front, front/back, and back).

Strat has a 5 position toggle switch which allows for additional out of phase sounds from the pickups.

Tele's generally don't have tremolo's but some custom ones do. Generally a Bigsby tremolo.

Strat's generally do have tremolo's. They are not Bigsby's but rather Fender's thru the body design that uses 3 oto 5 springs for intension in the back of the guitar.

Country players generally prefer the Tele's bridge pickup for "chicken pickin" work.

Strat's are more common with Blues/Rock players for it's bell-like woody tones.

That's all I can think of at the moment.....thanks,...e.lo

Haha thanks E-Lo I see
Sounds like a complicated decision when I finally buy an e-guitar, but before that I need some more Ukuleles ;). Looking solely at the Design, I find the Teles more appealing. Is there any major difference between Bigsby Tremolos and Fender Tremolos?

@topic: Isn't it possible to use humbuckers or pick ups in general from bass guitars?

Last edited:
Haha thanks E-Lo I see
Sounds like a complicated decision when I finally buy an e-guitar, but before that I need some more Ukuleles ;). Looking solely at the Design, I find the Teles more appealing. Is there any major difference between Bigsby Tremolos and Fender Tremolos?

@topic: Isn't it possible to use humbuckers or pick ups in general from bass guitars?
Bof, the Bigsby is a top based design that either is simply screwed down with 4 screws from the top or the more popular and common Bigsby is more like a tailpiece that attaches (with screws) to the rear end (side) of the of the guitar. The movement of the Bigsby bridge/tremolo is different than the Fender in that the strings attaches (held in place) by 6 little posts on a round shaft that moves then the tremolo arm is moved. Tension on the string movement is via one large spring on the arm. The string then go over the bridge part of Bigsby which is stationary.

The Strat tremolo design is different. A tremolo "block" go thru the body to the back side where 3 to 5 springs attach to the block and hold the tension for the string movement. The top bridge part "pivots" on two posts anchors to the body at each side of the bridge piece. The strings are strung through the back of the guitar, up through the top and coming out and over the bridge piece. When the tremolo bar is moved the pivot action causes the tremolo to rock thereby loosing the strings. The springs tension ensured that the strings are pulled back to there prior tuned tension.

Both the Bigsby and Fender tremolo work, but both are prone to going out of tune if whammied to hard. On the Bigsby, the strings will get caught up on the stationary nut or bridge saddle pieces. On the Strat, the strings can and do get caught up on the nut causing the guitar to go out of tune.

There have been many improvments made in the last 20 years to the whammy bar in general to keep tuning problems in check. However, many artists still love the original designs of the Bigsby and Fender tremolos and put up with the quirks that go with them ...thanks,...e.lo...

P.S. yes you could use humbucker picks for the bass. Humbucker is just a double coil type pickup that cancels out the 60 Hz hum that single coil pickup naturally get. However, the guitar pick would probably not be wide enough to cover the span of the bass guitar string placement.

Last edited:
thanks for the explanation e-lo.. haha I guess won't be the last oen you gave me

What I meant wiht the bass pickups is that if they could possibly be used as E-Uke pick ups or are they specially constructed for lower frequences?

thanks for the explanation e-lo.. haha I guess won't be the last oen you gave me

What I meant wiht the bass pickups is that if they could possibly be used as E-Uke pick ups or are they specially constructed for lower frequences?
Bof, don't believe the frequences come into play. Pretty much a guitar pickup (i.e. coil pickup for bass, guitar or acoustic) is just wire and a magnet. The piezo pickup is a bit different in that it uses physical down pressure from the strings onto the saddle to create a electronic transfer or the vibration of the body to transmit a signal. A coil pickup senses the metal strings above it to produce a signal. Come to think of it. I wonder if a coil pickup would even pick up the nylon string?? I have never tried it but I bet it doesn't work. Therefore I conclude that the uke must use a piezo pickup. Of course you could use a small condensor mic, but they feedback like crazy...e.lo...

whoa mans, thx for some information ;] I planing the body sizes and all about body now..

Top Bottom