New koa top tenor build completed

E-Lo Roberts

Reaction score
Special thanks to Dominator, Chuck, and Pete for taking time out of their schedules to answer my humble questions on this and other builds.

Here are some specs on the completed tenor.

Koa top with paua abalone rosette
Rosewood back and sides
Curly koa and maple binding used for top and back
One piece Mahogany bolt-on neck with carbon fiber struss rod
17” scale joined to the body at the 14th fret
19 frets total
Figured Cocobolo fingerboard with paua abalone dots
Bound neck: curly koa and maple
Koa and Cocobolo peghead overlay over
maple veneer with paua abalone "E" logo
Kamaka "Jake" style slotted headstock
Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite chrome and gold gear slotted peghead tuners
Rosewood bridge with paua abalone tie bar inspired by Chuck's ukes
Bone nut and saddle
Top finished in Nitro lacquer
Back, side, neck finished in Tru-Oil

Attachments

• koa 1.jpg
    koa 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 147
  • koa 2.jpg
    koa 2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 159
  • koa 3.jpg
    koa 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 155
  • koa 4.jpg
    koa 4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Looks great Ernie. I was just thinking about you over the weekend and wondering why you have been absent from UU. Looks like you've been spending your time wisely. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

Yeah, awesome! I love the inlay in the headstock... and those look like Waverly tuners?

Man....slot heads sure are in style these days. The angled ends on yours look really cool

Dude, looks great!

Super nice Ernie. Especially since you probably don't get a chance to see a lot of nice ukes in your corner of the woods. Nice headstock too. Do your strings make contact with the forward ends of the slots?

Chuck, just slightly on the outside strings (high G and A). I wanted to keep the neck angle around 13 degrees for this reason but still allow for some decent string tension on the nut. With the slotted head you can cut back on the angle of the neck a bit because the string sits in the middle of the slot as oppossed to above the headstock on a tuner post. To eliminate the string contact totally with this particular headstock design, I would of had to take the angle to around 11 or 10 degrees which I didn't want to do, or cut the forward slots a little closer to the nuts. Thought about that but didn't visually like the look. I also tried to keep the width of the headstock a bit narrower than others that I've seen. Again, simply a design choice.

Gorgeous!!

Chuck, just slightly on the outside strings (high G and A). I wanted to keep the neck angle around 13 degrees for this reason but still allow for some decent string tension on the nut. With the slotted head you can cut back on the angle of the neck a bit because the string sits in the middle of the slot as oppossed to above the headstock on a tuner post. To eliminate the string contact totally with this particular headstock design, I would of had to take the angle to around 11 or 10 degrees which I didn't want to do, or cut the forward slots a little closer to the nuts. Thought about that but didn't visually like the look. I also tried to keep the width of the headstock a bit narrower than others that I've seen. Again, simply a design choice.

I've got two William King ukes with slotted headstocks. On the tenor, all four strings contact the forward end of the slots. On the concert, the outside strings make contact. They do make marks on the finish where they contact the slot end. Besides possibly breaking the strings prematurely at that spot and obviously the "scratched" finish, are there other downsides to this?

Nice job on your builds E-Lo!

GX9901; Besides possibly breaking the strings prematurely at that spot and obviously the "scratched" finish said:
Huh? Isn't that enough? The slots are there for the strings to run through, not over. Big kudos to E-lo for attempting a slotted headstock but it IS an obvious design problem.
Again E-lo, you've really done a beautiful job:shaka:

Last edited:
Huh? Isn't that enough? The slots are there for the strings to run through, not over. Big kudos to E-lo for attempting a slotted headstock but it IS an obvious design problem.

Hey Chuck, didn't GX9901 say "all four strings contact the forward end of the slots" on his two William Kings tenors? I don't feel so bad now. Yes, I tried to solve the riddle of the angle vs. contact issues and got close. Please let me know if or when you come up with the right combo to this interesting design problem. If possible I would like all 4 strings to not touch the front end on future builds. Thanks, e.lo..........

Yep, the answer is less of a break angle at the headstock and a greater rake angle at the forward end of the slot. As you said, it's a fine balance to get it right. You also need to pay attention to the location of the tuners and make sure they are not positioned too far forward. The only problem I have with slotted headstocks is that there are limited options for inlay, which is my forte. It's also hard to spray lacquer in the slots and to finish it (sand and buff) properly. Good for you for doing it.

Well, I just figured that since William had a significant background in classical guitars, which mostly has slotted headstocks, that he knew what he was doing. The two issues I mentioned are things that I had no problems with, but I did note that they exist. If there aren't any other hidden issues with the strings touching the slot ramp, I'm ok with it. I do see your point though.

Top Bottom