Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 322 Ukuleles ARE allowed in Bluegrass (one week only)

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much, trent! that has really made my day!
    You're welcome! I had fun doing it. Thought it came out pretty well.

here's a paoriginal especially for your week Trent....

Quote Originally Posted by Joko View Post
    Great intro video!

I just want to make one thing clear, however. I do not always use my turn indicators correctly. Often as not, I'll flick the switch for the turn and then forget to switch it back again and I'll then drive half a mile or so with it still blinking. This happens on a motorcycle when you can't hear the click-click of the the blinker.

How to pack a ukulele on a motorcycle...

Attachment 108191
    Ah, so you're the one! Please use your turn indicators correctly! That uke is valuable cargo, and so are you!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    The essential difference in the two styles is the finger picks, some claw hammer players will wear a thumb pick, but almost all BG players will wear finger picks on forefinger and middle finger as well as a thumbpick ,either metal or a hard plastic variety .These are what deliver the biting driving sound ,and the three finger "rolls" are what differentiate between Clawhammer and Bluegrass styles.Also the "vamp" which is essentially plucking the strings rather than rolling them.....you cant strum with picks on.... I think that clawhammer is sometimes more melodic and gentle ,whereas BG is often more driving , I like both
    Well, I honestly had no idea what bluegrass was before this week other than that it was used extensively in the soundtrack of O Brother Where Art Thou (good movie by the way). After this and Redpaul's musings on the technicalities of bluegrass, I can now say that my head hurts and I'm scared to try to play bluegrass because my attempt might be something else that is similar but not quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    Well, I honestly had no idea what bluegrass was before this week other than that it was used extensively in the soundtrack of O Brother Where Art Thou (good movie by the way). After this and Redpaul's musings on the technicalities of bluegrass, I can now say that my head hurts and I'm scared to try to play bluegrass because my attempt might be something else that is similar but not quite right.
    Fear not young Robin! I have it on very good authority that perfect Bluegrass technique is not a requirement for this week, it's about trying something new.

Hey Robin! You can do this! Here's a Flatt & Scruggs number I pounded out on the baritone. The up-tempo numbers have a folky rhythm and the slower ones tend to be waltzes. Have a go!

Martin C1K KoAlana mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Kala KA-EBY-S soprano Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    you cannot possibly do worse than i'm doing! and yet... and yet... i'm having such a great time! lol!

you know trying (and failing) to bring bluegrass reminds me of my gazillion year long process of trying to bring the blues. i dunno if i ever DID get there! but i do think i got better at it! of course it did literally take years, and several frisbee fred blues seasons, to even begin to move in the right direction! but again, it was always fun to try!

speaking of trying, and i know i am indeed very trying i was trying to come up with a different strumming pattern, to bring on my next bluegrass attempt, and while i was practising it, this song wrote itself...

next up, i will either try and bring something a bit brisker and chirpier OR maybe i'll just listen to everyone else for the rest of the week, soak up the bluegrass fabulousness other people are bringing, and spare trent's eardrums anymore BEV torture!!

Last edited by bird's eye view of my ukelele; 04-15-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    you cannot possibly do worse than i'm doing! and yet... and yet... i'm having such a great time! lol!

you know trying (and failing) to bring bluegrass reminds my of my gazillion year long process of trying to bring the blues. i dunno if i ever DID get there! but i do think i got better at it! of course it did literally take years, and several frisbee fred blues seasons, to even begin to move in the right direction! but again, it was always fun to try!

speaking of trying, and i know i am indeed very trying i was trying to come up with a different strumming pattern, to bring on my next bluegrass attempt, and while i was practising it, this song wrote itself...

next up, i will either try and bring something a bit brisker and chirpier OR maybe i'll just listen to everyone else for the rest of the week, soak up the bluegrass fabulousness other people are bringing, and spare trent's eardrums anymore BEV torture!!
    At least I know that blues is blues when I hear it. The only way I have of telling me that a song is bluegrass is if somebody tells me it is. I have no feel for it whatsoever. That's not to say that I don't like it, it's just that it's totally opaque to me. Having said that, I have found a song that I have on good authority is bluegrass. Unfortunately it needs 3 voices, but I'll see what I can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    The essential difference in the two styles is the finger picks, some claw hammer players will wear a thumb pick, but almost all BG players will wear finger picks on forefinger and middle finger as well as a thumbpick ,either metal or a hard plastic variety .These are what deliver the biting driving sound ,and the three finger "rolls" are what differentiate between Clawhammer and Bluegrass styles.Also the "vamp" which is essentially plucking the strings rather than rolling them.....you cant strum with picks on.... I think that clawhammer is sometimes more melodic and gentle ,whereas BG is often more driving , I like both
    Help! I am completely bereft of thumb picks and finger picks! I'm with Robin on this one ... it took me most of yesterday to pin down what Bluegrass actually IS. And, having found out (vaguely!), I haven't got the faintest idea how to do it. Thank heavens that the great Mr. Monroe (up in Heaven) is not demanding accuracy!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Help! I am completely bereft of thumb picks and finger picks! I'm with Robin on this one ... it took me most of yesterday to pin down what Bluegrass actually IS. And, having found out (vaguely!), I haven't got the faintest idea how to do it. Thank heavens that the great Mr. Monroe (up in Heaven) is not demanding accuracy!
    Don't get too hung up on what exactly bluegrass music is. It doesn't matter who you ask because no one agrees completely.
    My definition of what bluegrass or mountain music is would be fast pass, three-part harmony, using guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, upright bass with an instrumental break.
    Lots of gospel songs are sung in this genre too.
    Just look up bluegrass songs and you will find more than enough music.

Take "Ill Fly Away". That song, in my mind, is typical bluegrass and typical gospel. It can be sung fast or slow. If you bring it slowly will it still be a bluegrass song? IMO yes.

Here is a perfect example.........and what is that?????? A uke????!!!!

OMG, you better call Bill!

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Thread Information