Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on baritone purchase

Default Advice on baritone purchase

Hello gang!! I'm currently in the market for a soprano and a baritone. I have my eye on a nice soprano I want, but would like some advice on the baritone. I'm currently playing on the trusted, entry level Makala (which I think it a steal for the price they sell for), but would like to add something a bit nicer. I need to go no higher than $300. For that price, what would you choose? I'm not to picky on scale length - 19" ~ 20+-ish" are fine. Thanks.

Kala Cedar Top.

Great tone, (20.125" scale).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Used; perhaps a Favillia Baritone.

Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Thanks for the recommendations! Both the Kala and Ohana are certainly contenders. I've read very good things about the Favilla - the poor man's Martin. I certainly fall into this category.

I've also been curious about the Cordoba offerings. They seem to fit this price range I'm in.

You could put up a post requesting to buy a used Favilla/Ohana/Pono/Mainland, etc.
    A decent used instrument is often a bargain if you're not picky about cosmetic condition.

A decent used Favillas of correct vintage are usually above your price point, people know about them.
    You may find one at a yard sale or Craigslist, but I've been looking on the net for a year and can't find a cheap one.
    They are not too often sold either, it seems.
    Old Harmony/Silvertones are a possibility if you don't mind working the action.
    Not advising on this listing, on way or the other, but to get an idea of the market;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sil...QAAOSwZula0RK5

Best of luck, you'll find something nice if you keep looking and have cash on hand.
    Last edited by maki66; 04-17-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Default "Hawaiian" brand soprono ukulele???

wronly post
    Last edited by maki66; 04-17-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    I've also been curious about the Cordoba offerings. They seem to fit this price range I'm in.
    Agree. Cordoba has been doing some good things larely. Here are some fairly recent thoughts on that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBraX6hc5Qg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUKyY2ZbvU
    I'd want to find a vendor that did setup though and I don't see any in stock currently at the usual suspects. Here's one coming soon though: https://www.elderly.com/cordoba-24b-...ne-ukulele.htm
    I was real pleased with the setup job Elderly did on my Cordoba C1M but I did have to ask for "lower than normal".
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Same. The setup on my C7 came a bit high but luckily I learned how to do my own setups long ago. I love this guitar.

Sadly, it "looks" like Cordoba doesn't spend as much time with the fit and finish on their ukuleles as they do their guitars. I mean, before my C7 I owned their C5. It was my only classical for a while and I played the heck out of that guitar. When shopping for it I played almost a dozen C5's from music shop to music shop and they were all pretty consistent in terms of fit and finish - straight bridges, straight inner bracings, straight labels, nice neck to body joints, etc... However, when looking at photos of their ukuleles at online sources, I am seeing crooked tuners, bridges not perfectly straight, neck heels not finished symmetrically, crooked headstock logos, crooked interior bracings and labels, etc... Now the C5 is only a $299 guitar, so very much entry level. I'm just not seeing the same attention to detail in their ukuleles. Quite possibly made in a different factory, which would explain the differences perhaps. Oh well, this is just from the selected few I have seen and I'm sure there are good ones out there.

Default Give up on the harmony?

I recently picked up two of the old Harmony baritones. One came ready to play after a restring and sounds great. The other needs a new saddle.

Thread Information