Hello from Whidbey Island

shanzelka

Reaction score
My name is Susan and I've been playing baritone ukulele for about a year. I also play cello.
I am playing bluegrass with a co-worker and wondered how I could play the notes faster. I'm at a disadvantage because I'm left handed. I have been fingerpicking, but just can't get the speed I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Do I have to resort to a pick?

Welcome to UU shanzelka, I also play cello. As to how you can speed up, I think the most important thing is to relax. If you try too hard for speed you are going to tense up the muscles that control the fingers. With practice comes speed. Don't worry, it will come.

Welcome to UU.

I suggest using your new best friend, a metronome. Start with a bpm you can successfully pick what you want to play. Then speed up by 3 bpm. When that speed works you move up another 3 bpm until you get to the speed you want. Go a bit faster and you'll then find that the speed you want is really easy.

Welcome to the forums, Susan. As mentioned, speed does take time. Remember, you can't play fast what you can't play slow. Relaxation is a must. In time and good practice, it will come.

Top Bottom