1st string does not give the right chord

extract

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the ukulele and I have learned to tune it but the first string which is supposed to be in the chord of A does not make that sound I use an electric tuner and it says that it is in A, but from the videos I have seen it does not sound the same, it sounds like just a normal piece of string that is vibrating, and I know since its a new instrument it will take time for the strings to be correct, but all the other strings sound somewhat nice, thank you

I have lots of questions...but the most helpful thing would be to post a video of you playing the four strings (you do not need to show your face) so we can hear what you are talking about.

Are you talking about the string closest to you as you play, or the string closest to the floor. Traditionally, the string closest to the floor is A. Make sure that you are tuning it to A4, or the A above Middle C on the piano. You could have it tuned an octave too low.

I have lots of questions...but the most helpful thing would be to post a video of you playing the four strings (you do not need to show your face) so we can hear what you are talking about.

Are you talking about the string closest to you as you play, or the string closest to the floor. Traditionally, the string closest to the floor is A. Make sure that you are tuning it to A4, or the A above Middle C on the piano. You could have it tuned an octave too low.

Ditto to what Chris said here ^

If you can upload or link to a video or audio clip to demonstrate the issue, we can help you better, otherwise we are just throwing shots in the dark...

https://youtu.be/sBu9AamcfCk
here it is, its the string closest to the floor I try to show it on the little tuner thing, as you can see it turns green for A meaning I tuned it good
thanks for the help again

You did great on the video...and tuning the other three strings. You actually “got” the harderst string—the “reentrant” G on String 4 that is above the pitch of the middle two strings. As Campbell said, you want to raise the pitch of the 1st string to be above the 4th string by a whole step...a whole octave higher than you are at now.

Hello, I am new to the ukulele and I have learned to tune it but the first string which is supposed to be in the chord of A does not make that sound I use an electric tuner and it says that it is in A, but from the videos I have seen it does not sound the same, it sounds like just a normal piece of string that is vibrating, and I know since its a new instrument it will take time for the strings to be correct, but all the other strings sound somewhat nice, thank you

You guys are all awesome, and it worked, im new to music still trying figure all this out but you guys helped a lot thank you!

Top Bottom