Vintage Kamaka Keikis quality?

13down

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Kamaka Keikis, in particular in regard to how it feels to play them? I've noticed that, online, they go for similar prices to actual Hawaiian Kamakas.

I've been assuming that they're comparable in quality to vintage Kamakas, with similar nut widths, similar comfortable action, etc.

I've heard sound samples that lead me to believe sound quality is similar to genuine Kamakas - at least it's good enough for my ears. But when I consider buying something that I can't actually get my hands on (especially vintage, which often means non-refundable) I'm more worried about feel/playability issues such as the action and neck comfort.

So I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the feel of Keiki Kamakas in comparison to vintage Kamakas of the same era.

Last edited:
I had a KKeiki once. They are very lightly built,so solid survivors are kinda scarce. They are very plain. I would prefer a HI koa Kamaka if the price were the same, but they are great little sopranos.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Good to know about the extreme lightness, that sounds like a good quality. I think I'll get one if it's on sale for less than a regular HI Kamaka.

FYI- There have recently been a couple of great looking Kamaka sopranos on the marketplace for good prices.

Top Bottom