Air Duster cans?

mikeyb2

Reaction score
I had a problem a while back, with mahogany appearing to trap dust and air in the pores under the finish, so I thought of trying one of these aerosols to blow off the dust before applying finish/ pore filler. Any recommendations for those available in the UK. I notice Poundland sell one for £1 a can but is this any good? Your thoughts please. Mike

I used them for updating a finish (removing steel wool dust) but soon realized that one has to very careful as the temperature of the area sprayed on drop very fast... I am waiting to see if the area impacted shows any sings of trouble.

I've used a tack cloth for that purpose. Not expensive, no can to recycle and no air blast to stir up more dust.

Hi Mike. I use a fine-haired dusting brush on the vacuum cleaner to get dust out of the pores, followed by wiping with microfibre & tack cloths.

Hi Mike. I use a fine-haired dusting brush on the vacuum cleaner to get dust out of the pores, followed by wiping with microfibre & tack cloths.

I have used a vacuum and brush, don't know why I never thought of the microfiber cloth. I have a stack of them.

Tesco do those sticky thingy rollers for getting pet hair off
clothes and furniture..complete with refills.:D

Last edited:
I have used a vacuum and brush, don't know why I never thought of the microfiber cloth. I have a stack of them.

Here is what I do: 3.5 horsepower shop vac with the hairy attachment and really suck out the dust and then wipe down with 95% alcohol to get out the fine bits. This will sometimes "raise the grain" so I repeat a few times until smooth and dust free. Then I hit it with a dilute solution of shellac and do the pore filling. Works for me.... I'm a little bit leary of "tack clothes" since the cheaper ones use a wax to pick up the dust and wax is not a good idea on wood before you are getting ready to use a finish.

The best way to get fine dust out of wood pores that I know is to use a plain white piece of paper (instead of sandpaper) between a palm sander and the wood’s surface. Change out the paper as dust accumulates. It works ten times better than tack cloth or any other method I’ve tried. The con to this technique is that it only works on the parts of wood the vibrating paper comes into contact with, so intricate areas may still be subject to one of the other methods mentioned.

I use a small natural bristle paint brush to clean my ukuleles. Seems to do the trick.

Top Bottom