Buzzing noise in Firefly banjo uke?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
I was looking at a couple of Fireflies at a shop (two different sizes) and both of them seemed to have an odd buzzing sound to me. I really want a banjo uke and loved the low weight of this one

Has anyone else experienced this trying them out? I don't notice the odd buzz in my other ukes, so I was trying to figure if that's a quirk to these instruments or that maybe they weren't set up right. I know they both came in together to the shop. One was a soprano, one a concert.

Any other experiences? I've heard everyone just rave about them so thought I'd ask.

The Deering's, etc are just huge to me otherwise I'd consider one of them

Thanks

Banjo ukes in general can have buzzy overtones. I usually stuff a sock or foam in the back. they also make a mute that fits on top that does a similar thing. The strings should not buzz though.

Anything that is remotely loose on a banjo/banjolele will cause a buzz, check the tail piece.

I am having the same issue with my firefly.

I've never played a soprano or concert, but my Tenor Firefly has zero issues. Just yesterday at a jam I had two people compliment the tone.

I’ve had two Firefly’s and no issues so far. Love the light weight. Can’t wait to try a Tenor. Would agree with the sock or towel or T-shirt behind the head approach for banjoleles

I've had my Firefly for quite a while - it is serial number 26 - and I've never had any issues with buzzing.

You might want to check distance betweenthe strings and the fretboard/, and the distances between the strings and head; the pot is somewhat adjustable, and if is is too high, the string can buzz on the head, or on the neck.

I am primarily a banjo player, and I play both 5 sting and banjolele.

Put a sock in it = I don't like banjos! IMHO.:D

I had a Firefly. Odd overtones. Nothing loose.... I don't have a Firefly now......

I love the banjolele and still play them! :cool:

Thanks all. I ended up going another way and just had a Duke 10 come join me. I'm still kind of stretching my hands to get used to tenor, so not sure I'll keep it. Love the sound though. May get one of the new concert goldtone little gems just because I love the blue. May also try to construct one of my own-- just cuz.

Top Bottom