Kamaka gold or white label differences?

Thanks Jerryc41. Kamaka site is helpful on dating but says nothing about structural differences.

Maybe someone who has/had both gold and white labels?

Any opinion on sound differences would probably need same strings on both but any input would be interesting.

Any noticeable sustain differences?

If someone could get either gold or white label in same condition and $ would a coin flip be as good as anything else for choosing?

I'm glad you started the thread. I've wondered about this too, so I can't answer your question, but hope that someone can.

mmstan please check in on this.

We are getting nowhere thus far.

mmstan please check in on this.

We are getting nowhere thus far.

send MMStan a private message he does not check the UU like he used to.....:)

mmStan’s inbox is full. Might be the # of people wanting his Kamaka knowledge.

I'm actually surprised that no one has offered an answer to this question, especially with the depth of knowledge of this forum. I have wondered the same thing as I have seen Kamaka ukuleles listed for sale, and not knowing has kept me from buying one on occasion.

I'm curious too, as we just got a Kamaka soprano given to us.
I Just emailed mm stan. Let's wait.

I think that the question was more about physical changes than dates of production. And I am curious about that too. For example I have a white label tenor with friction tuners but I think there are also some with geared tuners. What other design changes were made over time?

It appears as thouh Kamaka's web site is currently out of order. "Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Could not connect to MySQL."

I Just tried to email the Ukulele Site, but it bounced back. I'm sure someone there knows.

I'm definitely not Stan, but I've had a few White and Gold Label Pineapples.

I feel that the biggest difference is the shape. In my experience, Gold label pineapples have a squashed bottom shape where they are wider at the bottom than a white label pineapple. The white lable pineapples are more symmetrical. But as far as bracing, I believe they are the same. I had read that prior to 1960 the frets were cut into the neck piece, but after 1960, or starting in 1960, a fretboard was added and the frets were then placed within the fretboard. I also feel that the wood is thinner on a gold label vs. a white label.

I've never owned a Kamaka soprano, non-pineapple, so I couldn't comment on those.

Top Bottom