Thread: Greetings From The Desert!

Default Greetings From The Desert!

I've been playing for around 5 years and I also lead/teach a uke group here of about 25 players - most of them beginners.

I'm looking for ideas to move our group from just unison playing to something with more variety and interest for our performances.

In the winter we live in the SoCal desert in the Coachella Valley, and in the summer we live in Flagstaff Arizona.

I play pop/rock/standards from 1950 to about 1979 - because that's the only period I was really active in paying attention to music! If a song came out in 1994, or 2015, I probably have never heard it.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the forums, MD!!

Welcome aboard,and we apparently have similar
    tastes in our appreciation of 'good music'!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Welcome to UU MD
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Hey, welcome! I know exactly what you mean about "paying attention" to music. I only know the old stuff, and at 72, I mean the 'really' old stuff. I was sitting in a restaurant the other day and heard a tune being played over the system, very softly. I strained to hear it. I knew it, but couldn't quite place it. I struggled with it for a while, and finally came up with "Blue on blue." I checked that out, and it was the wrong tune. Then it came to me, "Love is blue." Yup, that was it. Released as an instrumental way back in 1967 or thereabouts. Hadn't heard it for years and years. Now I'm playing it just about every day. Play what you love, and love what you play. That's what I say!
    Last edited by VegasGeorge; 05-02-2018 at 02:35 AM.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Welcome to UU.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Welcome to the forum!
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin 2K Tenor
    Mainland Soprano

welcome to the forum!
    I cant understand why people are frightened of new ideas. Im frightened of the old ones. ― John Cage

cello - Luis and Clark
    ukes - Cordoba, Lohanu, and Outdoor Ukulele (all soprano)

Welcome to UU, those are very nice places to reside, I have visited both. As far as making your performances more interesting try having 4 -6 people picking out the melody line to the song while others are strumming. The uke jam I attend does that from time to time, with fills and leads as well. Fortunately it is run by a music teacher and professional musician so he has the knowledge to do the arrangements.

I had seen a book or website that featured exactly what you are looking for......unfortunately I can't remember the name or title. Maybe someone else will remember.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information