Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cigar Box Guitars

Photos of my second build and the upgraded #!;

cbg#2 assembled, no bridge or strings.jpg

cbg 2.1.jpg

cbg #1.1.jpg
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

I've built about a dozen Cigar Box Ukuleles, but they all ended up being sold, or given away. A couple of years ago, I decided it was time I made one for myself. I found a suitable box on ebay (branded WD & HO Wills, "Embassy") and used a neck that I had made some years before, but never used. The neck is maple.

I discarded the back of the box and used a nice piece of instrument grade Western Red cedar for the soundboard. The fretboard is from a piece of Lilac wood, supplied by my good friend Sven Nystrom, maker of Argapa ukuleles.

The soundboard is not as thick as the inset hole lining makes it appear. The pale abalone fret position dots were a mistake on the very light coloured Lilac wood - I added ebony side dots after this photo was taken.

It is an acoustic instrument only, and (though I say it myself) it sounds extremely good. I painted 'Emperor' on the front because that name is given to the type of cigar - and I thought it sounded impressive.Sept 2016 - The 'Emperor' CBU.jpg

John Colter
    Last edited by ukantor; 05-30-2018 at 03:48 AM.

My current favorite YouTube, slide CBG old school blues;

John Colter[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I've built about a dozen Cigar Box Ukuleles, but they all ended up being sold, or given away. A couple of years ago, I decided it was time I made one for myself. I found a suitable box on ebay (branded WD & HO Wills, "Embassy") and used a neck that I had made some years before, but never used. The neck is maple.

I discarded the back of the box and used a nice piece of instrument grade Western Red cedar for the soundboard. The fretboard is from a piece of Lilac wood, supplied by my good friend Sven Nystrom, maker of Argapa ukuleles.

The soundboard is not as thick as the inset hole lining makes it appear. The pale abalone fret position dots were a mistake on the very light coloured Lilac wood - I added ebony side dots after this photo was taken.

It is an acoustic instrument only, and (though I say it myself) it sounds extremely good. I painted 'Emperor' on the front because that name is given to the type of cigar - and I thought it sounded impressive.Sept 2016 - The 'Emperor' CBU.jpg

John Colter
    That's a rare beauty John. Someday I'd like to build something similar for myself.
    What type of bracing system did you use on that?
    Last edited by maki66; 06-01-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Hi Maki, I can thoroughly recommend making a cigar box uke. If you use the neck off an existing instrument, it makes the job very much easier. I don't have any good photos of the interior of the "Emperor", but these are of a CBU I made using a 'La Paz' box. The box measures 9 1/2" X 6 7/8" X 2" deep - pretty close to ideal for a soprano.

The back of the box became the front of the uke, and was replaced by instrument grade Western Red Cedar, thinned to around 1/10th". The soundhole is lined with three layers of veneer, and the veneer ring (formed around a suitable glass bottle) is inset into the sound hole by about an eighth of an inch.

The bracing is very simple. The neck was salvaged from a damaged uke.

John Colter

'La Paz' box uke - 001.jpg'La Paz' box uke - 002.jpg'La Paz' box uke - 003.jpg

Thread Information