Where do you like to play your ukulele at home?

Creb

Reaction score
I went through a period of time of living alone and found it easy to dedicate blocks of time to practicing and just playing my ukulele without distraction. My significant other has recently moved in with me and I'm having trouble finding that "sanctuary" for the time being. A remote music studio would be nice, but that is not feasible for me currently. Living with other people, where/how have you found your productive place to play your ukulele at home?

I'm lucky I guess that I also have a corner of the basement where I have my amps and mixer set up. I go down there if I feel like plugging in or I'm getting ready for something and want to practice my playlist or new songs. But I don't particularly like playing down there so that isn't my first pick. Weather permitting, I play outside. I play on the back deck, the front porch, or I walk over to the park. In PR I go to the beach. But regardless, it is just me and my wife, sometimes my grand daughter, and my wife likes listening to me play. It isn't unusual for me to play my ukulele in her sewing room while she is sewing, just to give her something to listen to. She sings along sometimes, and sometimes she just tunes me out.

I'm lucky I guess that I also have a corner of the basement where I have my amps and mixer set up. I go down there if I feel like plugging in or I'm getting ready for something and want to practice my playlist or new songs. But I don't particularly like playing down there so that isn't my first pick. Weather permitting, I play outside. I play on the back deck, the front porch, or I walk over to the park. In PR I go to the beach. But regardless, it is just me and my wife, sometimes my grand daughter, and my wife likes listening to me play. It isn't unusual for me to play my ukulele in her sewing room while she is sewing, just to give her something to listen to. She sings along sometimes, and sometimes she just tunes me out.

That does sound very nice. I think I would enjoy conveniently playing outside. Unfortunately, I do not have a porch/basement or a park in walking distance. Thinking it out, I think it is more of a mental issue with not having the same privacy anymore. I find it harder to experiment and "let loose" when playing around other people (I should clarify: harder time experimenting around other people that I'm not in a band with or jamming with).

Last edited:
When the whole family was home I used to play in our bedroom with the door closed. Sitting perched on the edge of the bed wasn't my first choice but that is what I had to work with. Now that my older daughter is living away from home I play in her bedroom (with the door closed) where I can actually sit in a chair and place my song sheets on a desk. I still feel kind of weird singing and playing in someone elses presence so it's nice to be able to close a door and have a room to myself.

When I'm just noodling, I play on my couch watching TV. When I'm practicing for a gig, I play in front of my iPad Pro 12.9" with the songs in ForScore, along with the audio tracks I record during our rehearsals. It sits on my desk next to my computer if I have to fix the PDF lead sheets that I make with Canvas Draw 4 on my MacBookPro computer. I'm single so I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

In the recliner in front of the (silent) TV...in the "music room" when plugging in...in front of the computer in my basement office space...on the back deck, facing the trees (my audience, unless the neighbors can hear)...in a chair on the front lawn. (The last two are "weather permitting.") I'm lucky that I don't get in-house objections to late-night playing.

Since my wife and I moved to a house with a basement, I managed to get a room in the basement for being noisy...

When home alone I often play on the couch or in front of my desk, but I think the stool in the basement gives a better posture.

I also like to play in the garden, but to stay friendly with the neighbours I only do it a little, and only songs that I now, so they wont have to hear my first feeble attempts at a song, when I am also overly repetative to listen to.

Before moving from a small apartment I would sometimes play in the bedroom with the door closed. Fortunately I would often get home from work half an hour before my wife. I would make that half an hour my practice time, so I could play any where.

Last edited:
In my bedroom. :)

Being as I'm not very good (still!), I prefer not to bother anyone else, especially if it involves chords & croaking. ;)

I actually prefer to just play melodies. :D

I went through a period of time of living alone and found it easy to dedicate blocks of time to practicing and just playing my ukulele without distraction. My significant other has recently moved in with me and I'm having trouble finding that "sanctuary" for the time being. A remote music studio would be nice, but that is not feasible for me currently. Living with other people, where/how have you found your productive place to play your ukulele at home?

Where to practice at home is a common problem for so many musicians and even forces some to give up playing for a while. I’m lucky now in being able to play my Uke anywhere in my home and garden that I wish, but that wasn’t always the case. The Uke isn’t my only instrument and the other one is loud, I play it in a small bedroom with the door closed. That’s socially acceptable because the sound cannot reach other properties and there are no young children in the house trying to sleep or do homework, etc. It also helps in that I play it reasonably well too, but repeatedly playing difficult bits until i get then right isn’t regarded as enjoyable by other ears in home - many compromises.

The Uke is, I find, quiet enough to play in any place in the house that other people aren’t sharing with me. One sits by my armchair and I play that one when others are in bed / asleep / out and one sits in a bedroom and I play the one there when other people are about. I’m wanting to play more outdoors in the open countryside, you just need to select a time and place when no one much is about.

For those that live in a property with party walls and the like finding a practice space, where you’re unlikely to disturb your neighbours, can be very difficult. On an other forum one member found that his bathroom was the best place for that and that the rest of his flat was fine just so long as he picked times when his neighbours were normally out or at work. With a Uke, if all else fails, you could resort to playing it in your (parked) car - done it a little and it works just fine.

Last edited:
I used to be the only one at home for stretches of the day. Now my husband is home all day.

Fortunately, just before picking up the uke, I started another hobby - camping. My little travel trailer is my music room.

I noodle around when other people are in the house, but hate to subject them to really practicing such as repeatedly playing the same set of notes.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_161646.jpg
    IMG_20180421_161646.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 45
I used to be the only one at home for stretches of the day. Now my husband is home all day.

Fortunately, just before picking up the uke, I started another hobby - camping. My little travel trailer is my music room.

I noodle around when other people are in the house, but hate to subject them to really practicing such as repeatedly playing the same set of notes.

Wow, that travel trailer looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I used to play in the bathroom with the door closed. Great acoustics in there! :)

Office...... in front of the computer. I can look up songs, look up chords I'm not certain of, play music on iTunes, etc. My 80 year old mom hasn't complained, but she's generally 2 floors away in the house watching TV, reading, or painting. In the summer I sit on my glider swing in the backyard & play. I always take my uke with me on kayak/raft/camping trips.....so sitting in a camp chair next to a river or lake, or around a campfire/communal area. My outdoor companions seem to enjoy listening to me play. At least they have never covered their ears or run screaming to their tents. ;)

During the weekdays, I generally play in the living room after my wife goes to bed. Since i live in San Diego, I can usually play outside on our backyard patio on the weekends.

Well I live in an old house....two bedrooms up stairs... at the top of the skinny stairs is smallish room I call the landing....two bedrooms lead off of it. It's a messy man space of a room....all kinds of outdoor gear piled up, shelves double stacked with books, couple of tall cabinets , a smallish desk, a chair on casters...and an ironing board, yes I iron most of my cloths the night before I head off to work....on the ironing board is a nice desk top music stand....I sit in my chair and play the ukulele....I try not to play to early in the morning on weekends.....but I've been known to play to get my son out of bed......In a house full of musicians I'm not too worried about too much noise...if they don't like my playing they all have earbuds and soundless headphones..... I do play in the living room or in front of the computer once in a long while also......play it when ever and were ever you can :)

Last edited:
I stuffed one of my ukes full of odd socks. It's quiet as a mouse now. I can play it while we're in the same room and she barely hears it.

I don't always play at home, but when I do, I play at home...:shaka::D

I practice standing up & with a strap. So wherever my feet are, my ukulele is a yard above them: in my library with my music stand and sheet music, down the hall and into the kitchen, out onto the porch, etc.

Used to play in the basement. But, I found it very dreary and not very... umm, I don't know how to say this.. But not very uke-ish down there. Ukulele playing needs some sunlight and a happy setting. I now took over the lower level living room and turned it into my ukulele/hawaii room(despite not being from hawaii) But, it's decorated in respect to this vibe. I have a nice couch in there. It's great. Such an inspiring space. If I need a computer or tabs or lesson help, I have a laptop I put in front of me on a little table.

Top Bottom