Pono MGTD vs. Kala KA-SPMT-TRI

raffrox

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a tenor and there's a few good deals in my neck of the woods but I can't make a decision :)

The two ukes I'm deciding between are the Pono Mango Delux Tenor (MGDT) and the Kala Solid Spruce Tri Back Tenor (KA-SPMT-TRI).

I own another Pono already (MCPC) so part of me is thinking to spice it up a bit and get the Kala.

I'm looking for a more brighter tone than the MCPC (solid mahogany) so the spruce and mango both appeal to me. From what I've heard the spruce seems brighter but the mango sounds great as well.

I can get the Pono for US$410 brand new (that includes postage) or the Kala second hand for US$220 (also includes postage).

I know most will say go the Pono but like I said, I've just got a Pono (which I love) but I do tend to like a bit of variety.

Their retail prices are usually actually pretty similar as well.

Help!!!! :)

Although I'm a big Pono fan, I'm not sure I would recommend the mango. Especially since you want something different from the all mahogany. Listen to some sound samples at the Ukulele Site with good headphones and see what you think. The Kala is a bargain at that price if in good condition.

Thanks again Uke Don.

I think you're right and I was leaning towards the Kala due to the price and a spruce top but hard not to grab the Pono. The Kala has a few minor scuffs on the back of it and by the looks of it could be removed with scratch remover but even if they can't they are very minor.

Cheers :)

Personally, I'd get the Pono, as I much prefer the more simplistic look (as well as their solid build and impeccable quality). But I can see the appeal of going "for something completely different".

Top Bottom