Kanile'a k1 tenor vs Kala Elite 1Koa-T

scubie

Reaction score
Hello, all, this is my very first post! I'm trying to make a decision TODAY (in the next 8 hours) whether to buy one or the other of the above-mentioned ukes. I know it's subjective, I know it's last minute.......just looking for a few opinions, for whatever reasons you may have. Just any thoughts anyone might have. Thanks! (I'm fairly new to the uke, if that sways anyone one way or the other.)

There are quite a few minor differences between these two instruments. The Kanile'a has a wider fretboard and uses bridge pins. The Kala has a standard width fretboard, string-through bridge, and bolt-on neck.

I played a Mahogany Kala Elite tenor, and I thought it was quite nice. The Kala's construction quality wasn't quite on par with a Kanile'a, but the uke had a warm sound and resonated well across its range. Plenty of volume and sustain.

I play a Kanile'a myself, but I wouldn't knock the Kala. It wasn't as bright or focused as a Kanile'a, but it had an open sound and was a well-rounded instrument.

Last edited:
I had the chance to try both side by side in a store in Hilo. I expected the Kanilea to be great and it totally lived up to the expectation, and I had no expectation for the Kala at all. So I was quite surprised that the Kala Elite was just about as good as the Kanilea, but also priced at a similar level. I think their features were a bit different (see post above), so if the ones you can chose between are also priced similarly you could check which specs/feature you find more appealing. Otherwise my nod would go to the Hawaiian built instrument, just because ...

I believe many of the Kala Elite also have a 1-1/2" nut width, like the Kanile'a. Depends on the exact model.

Thanks to you that have chimed in. I'm in that stage (completely predictable) where I've researched ukes for what seems like a zillion hours, over a zillion days, and am fairly paralyzed, lol. I've been playing my little Kala-s, but I need to take a step forward. My problem now is that I probably don't really KNOW what I like/want. I'm leaving the country for a few weeks, and really want to take a leap today so I might have a uke waiting for me when I get home! I'm already feeling the grips of UAS, but I'm hoping if I aim high, I might be able to stem it a bit! ;).

Last edited:
Scubie,

They're both very good. Their respective sounds will nurture your growth in different ways (especially if you're moving from soprano to tenor), but the road to mastery is usually long and winding.

Just practice hard, perform well, and enjoy the journey!

Hi
I'm considering getting a kanile'a and wonder is the fretboard radiussed. Thanks.

Kanile’a fretboards are generally not radiused, but you could call their office or e-mail them about the possibility. They have always been very responsive in my experience.

I have played both but own the Kala Elite Koa2 Tenor. Kala Elite offers two options on their neck size. The standard neck measures 1 1/2” but they do offer what they call their narrow neck which measures in at 1 3/8”. The Elites also come in Doghair Mahogany as well as Koa 1,2 & 3. I can not tell you which brand you’ll be happier with, for me it was the Kala. The fit and finish were perfect, the sound fit my ear and I don’t think there is a better value out there, but again, this is all subjective. Something else to consider, do you plan on selling or trading the ukulele down the road? The Kanilea has proven to hold it’s value, the Elite has yet to be tested. Definitely something to keep in mind.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom