4 Hawaii "K" brand ukuleles, which is your favourite?

4 Hawaii "K" brand ukuleles, which is your favourite?

• Kanilea

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Koolau

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Kamaka

Votes: 46 30.5%
  • Koaloha

Votes: 55 36.4%

• Total voters
I compared my Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top to the K brands side by side and in my opinion they were certainly not 3 times better ($380 vs $1200), maybe slightly better at the most. Kala is obviously also a K brand.

Kala cedar mine.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Dude.........news flash Kala ain't one of K-brands, please have a look at the listed poll. Those are ALWAYS and ONLY Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanilea and Koolau, this is a well know classification. I know you love your Kala but it's not part of the instruments being discussed here.

Last edited:
Dude.........news flash Kala ain't one of K-brands, please have a look at the listed poll. Those are ALWAYS and ONLY Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanilea and Koolau, this is a well know classification. I know you love your Kala but it's not part of the instruments being discussed here.
I know. I meant only that it started with K also, not that Kala is actually one, should have phrased it better.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org

I own a Koolau and a Kanilea. I have been to Hawaii a few times since I started my uke interest and test drove tons of ukes but really I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm not much beyond a beginner player, so... grain of salt...

Koolau: I've only played one, and that's the one I own. I bought it second-hand right after I decided that ukulele was more than just a passing fancy. It's beautiful, it has some heft to it and feels to me like a more "professional grade" instrument than any other uke I've played. I have it strung low g and it's a tenor, so it has a very warm mellow sound, not as "twinkly" or "sparkly" as most that I've played (I also mostly play concerts, so that's part of it)

Kanilea: Best looking of the main 3 by a long shot. Most modern look and fanciest Koa. Some people value looks more than others. I definitely consider looks as important and I think a lot of it is because I'm not a great player and a nice looking uke makes me more likely to pick it up. I would guess that people who have played for decades care more about the sound and don't care if it looks like a dirty sock. Very sweet sound, tending to be more mellow than the others.

Koaloha: I don't care much for the looks but the sound is very attractive when comparing it to the others because it really pops. The instruments feel light weight and project like crazy. I understand why people like these and maybe if I was a better player, I would be more interested. I almost bought one once but went with something else that I felt had more interesting character (no regrets).

Kamaka: The classic. Some people love that it's the classic and it's like a piece of history. It's never the wrong choice, but for me, it's never the right choice either because they just never seem to have that something special that makes me want to pick it up.

Overall, Kanilea is my choice but I also JUST bought one. Ask again in a year and I'll probably have a different answer.

This post was very well put together. Thanks. I haven't played a Koolau, but the rest makes total sense. And yeah, I don't like the Koaloho headstock. LOL, But they seem to sound great.

Thanks Dave for your post..as usual the poster was trying to Hi-Jack the thread......:)

Thanks Dave for your post..as usual the poster was trying to Hi-Jack the thread......:)
Get off me you a-hole, I don't see you saying anything about Camsuke's post of all those K names. I'm sick of you're complaints. I was going to make this a PM, but since you made it public, here it is.

We were all having a bit of fun until... DownUpDave responded with "Dude... news flash Kala ain't one of K-brands" Talk about being a party pooper, I'm sure that Mike is well aware of which brands are listed in the Big K4, he was just contributing to the humour of the thread! :D
Thank you Camsuke, I appreciate the support.

Hey...

I’m waiting for the manufacturer who labels their ukes as “K-Brand”, with just a big K on the headstock. Imagine the outrage! ;)

Been there, done that ... Kaka ... I kid u knot! A Kala knock off produced by Enya. It was ironically my prettiest Uke that always turned heads because of the striking koa like laminate grain, open headstock, and tortoise shell binding. It also had a good sound for what it was. My off screen name starts with K and I needed a cheap uke to take to camp. It was my special K brand but I sold it to a friend who wanted a ukulele with a wide nut. Fortunately she never asked what the brand was. I guess Enya finally figured out it was a shity name. I had a lot of fun with it because of that. You can see the evidence in my headshot photo.

As for the topic of this thread, KoAloha all the way. They are loud, light, punchy and full of soul. I have yet to meet a Kamaka that moved me. While I get the appeal of Kanilea, I find them stiff and refined.

Slight hijack - I ordered an Enya concert last fall, but what arrived was a Kaka. I was going to send it back, but didn’t because it sounded nice and my name begins with a “K”. I don’t think I would have ordered a Kaka on purpose, but it turned out fine.

Returning the thread to its real purpose now - I have examples of all four and voted without hesitation for KoAloha.

I owned a beautiful concert Kanile’a. Neck too thin. It hurt my wrist.
I own a tenor koolau, beautiful tone!
I played a Kamaka baritone over a weekend and a long neck concert. They are nice.
I played a koaloha tenor, long neck concert and tried very hard to like it. Fret spacings too tight for me but the instruments got volume!
My vote is Koolau ! I mean my Koolau! :D

Hello!

I am new to this forum but had a question in regards to the sound of a martin. What does that sound like compared to a KoAloha, Kaniela, Kamaka, Ko'olau? I have a KoAloha solid Koa and am looking for an instrument made of Solid Mahogany. However, I do not see any of the Kbrands with solid Mahogany available. Does a martin made of solid mahogany sound traditional like a Kamaka? I've read other forums where if you are looking for a Martin sound then get that one but I am not sure what that is and how it compares to the Kbrands.

You have to be more specific what kind of Martin as these ukes were also produced for about 100 years. There are huge differences between old Martin ukes that were made of genuine if not Cuban mahogany, and modern Martins that are made of a variety materials. The differences between the K brands and also to Martin ukes are not so much due to the woods used but more to fundamental design such as shape of the body and bracing patterns. There are several brands that emulate the classic Martin approach and may provide nice contrast to Hawaiian uke, and Kiwaya is a good example.

Top Bottom