Carvin CL450 Classical Guitar Help

twokatmew

Reaction score
I started playing uke because of issues with my fretting wrist that makes playing guitar very painful. I've been gradually selling off my guitars, and yesterday I took my Carvin CL450 in to Elderly.

I was shocked when they gave it back to me saying they weren't interested because it "needed too much work." I asked specifically what it needed. They said it needed a neck reset and that it had been that way when I bought it. Well, when I bought it, I thought the action was too high, and it looked to me like there wasn't much room to lower the saddle. I took it in and told the tech (Arnold), that I'd just bought this new guitar from Carvin, that I was concerned about the lack of adjustability in the saddle, and that I could return the guitar. I also told him I was certainly no expert, and that I would defer to his judgment. Arnold inspected it, said it was "fine" and lowered the action. 12th fret action is ~3.5mm on the 6th string, and ~2.75mm on the 1st string. It's been stored in its humidified case since I stopped playing.

Before I took the guitar in to Elderly, I cleaned it up, changed the strings, made sure everything worked fine, and now I'm told the guitar is pretty much worthless. From what I can glean off the Internet, the 12th fret action is well within spec. True, the action can't really be lowered, but the guitar plays nicely. Is it really worthless? What should I do with it? Toss it in the trash?

I know Carvin is not a big name and that the guitar wouldn't retain its value like a Fender or Gibson, but I was certainly not prepared for this turn of events. I've lived in Lansing since 1980, and I've given Elderly lots of business. With the exception of Arnold, everyone there has done a lot of great work for me over the years, so I don't mean this as a slam against Elderly. Just wondering what to do with the guitar! :)

Edit: Here's the guitar in the Carvin Museum: http://www.carvinmuseum.com/instockarchive/cl450.html

Thoughts and/or advice?

Last edited:
If it "plays nicely" I wouldn't say it's worthless but I have no idea how to price it. You could always try to sell on Craigslist, eBay, reverb, etc. Could also find a deserving student to gift it to.

If it "plays nicely" I wouldn't say it's worthless but I have no idea how to price it. You could always try to sell on Craigslist, eBay, reverb, etc. Could also find a deserving student to gift it to.

Thx Jim. My former guitar teacher and his friend who's a tech are going to look at it tomorrow. My plan is to gift it.

Judging from checking the used items for sale on Elderly's site, nearly every day for about 3 yrs, I'd say they probably felt that there was not enough profit in it to buy it from you, and also maybe did not want to insult you with an offer of like $50.

From those photos you linked it looks real nice, and if it plays and sounds good, then it is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

However, nearly anyone can find a student who lacks the means to purchase a quality instrument, and such a young one would surely love you forever were you to pay-it-forwards as a gift.

Not saying you should 'give it away', but sometimes knowing that you contributed to the musical journey of another worthy person in a meaningful way, is in fact a gift to YOU as well.

Kudos, and much respect to you Margaret for considering to gift this instrument.

At least it might get played instead of sitting in the closet. :)

Judging from checking the used items for sale on Elderly's site, nearly every day for about 3 yrs, I'd say they probably felt that there was not enough profit in it to buy it from you, and also maybe did not want to insult you with an offer of like $50.

From those photos you linked it looks real nice, and if it plays and sounds good, then it is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

However, nearly anyone can find a student who lacks the means to purchase a quality instrument, and such a young one would surely love you forever were you to pay-it-forwards as a gift.

Not saying you should 'give it away', but sometimes knowing that you contributed to the musical journey of another worthy person in a meaningful way, is in fact a gift to YOU as well.

Kudos, and much respect to you Margaret for considering to gift this instrument.

At least it might get played instead of sitting in the closet. :)

Thanks Booli. The few times I've gifted something of value to a young person, I felt very good about it, and of course, the young person was very grateful. :)

My teacher looked at the guitar and texted me a bit ago saying he thinks it's a really nice instrument, though he can see the issue with the neck. We'll see if his friend can do anything with it for a reasonable cost. Back in 2003, I cut a couple tracks from my practice recording and posted them on SoundClick. Here's what the guitar sounds like:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=62452&content=music

I'll post with an update once I get a verdict on the guitar. It's rather mind boggling to have thought there might be a problem with the guitar only to be told it was fine, and then after years of playing it, to learn it's always needed a neck reset. :confused:

Thanks Booli. The few times I've gifted something of value to a young person, I felt very good about it, and of course, the young person was very grateful. :)

My teacher looked at the guitar and texted me a bit ago saying he thinks it's a really nice instrument, though he can see the issue with the neck. We'll see if his friend can do anything with it for a reasonable cost. Back in 2003, I cut a couple tracks from my practice recording and posted them on SoundClick. Here's what the guitar sounds like:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=62452&content=music

I'll post with an update once I get a verdict on the guitar. It's rather mind boggling to have thought there might be a problem with the guitar only to be told it was fine, and then after years of playing it, to learn it's always needed a neck reset. :confused:

Sure thing. I'm off to listen to the recordings now. Please update when you can...

Does it have a truss rod? Maybe the 'issue' can be easily resolved with a truss rod adjustment?

Sure thing. I'm off to listen to the recordings now. Please update when you can...

Does it have a truss rod? Maybe the 'issue' can be easily resolved with a truss rod adjustment?

Well we have a verdict! The guitar doesn't need a neck reset.

My teacher said he adjusted the truss rod which brought the action down a little bit, and he jammed with it for two hours last night and never put it down. His friend thinks the radius at the saddle is a little off. He's going to cut a new saddle to correct that very minor problem. Turns out my teacher (who's a jazz guitarist) was looking for a nylon string and fell in love with the guitar last night. We settled on a price of $350.

This story has a happy ending. Thanks Jim and Booli! :D

Well we have a verdict! The guitar doesn't need a neck reset.

My teacher said he adjusted the truss rod which brought the action down a little bit, and he jammed with it for two hours last night and never put it down. His friend thinks the radius at the saddle is a little off. He's going to cut a new saddle to correct that very minor problem. Turns out my teacher (who's a jazz guitarist) was looking for a nylon string and fell in love with the guitar last night. We settled on a price of $350.

This story has a happy ending. Thanks Jim and Booli! :D

I am very happy for you. :) :nana:

Seems like the solution was well within the grasp of your teacher, and good timing for you to let him play with it.

Not sure what that guitar sold for new, but $350 in your pocket is a nice return for an un-played instrument that was hiding in the closet.

I am very happy for you. :) :nana:

Seems like the solution was well within the grasp of your teacher, and good timing for you to let him play with it.

Not sure what that guitar sold for new, but $350 in your pocket is a nice return for an un-played instrument that was hiding in the closet.

Thanks Booli! It sold for a bit more than $1000 in 2002. I'd hoped to get $3-400 for it, figuring even though it's a nice guitar, a Carvin wouldn't hold its value all that well. My teacher figured about $3-400 too, so we easily came to $350. He feels like he got a good deal, and I feel like a got a fair price. The icing on the cake is that the guitar will be well loved ... and played!! :D

Edit: The $$ will go toward an Opio acacia tenor I just ordered from Mim. I also have two Fender tube amps that are currently getting a tune-up by the local amp guru. When they come back, they'll go on consignment at Elderly. (1968 Vibro Champ and a late 70s Princeton Reverb) I already sold my 2000 US Fender Fat Tele, but I'm keeping my 2003 Samick Greg Bennett RL3 and Roland Cube 30. It will remind me that playing much guitar now is painful and thus keep me from investing in any new guitars. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Booli! It sold for a bit more than $1000 in 2002. I'd hoped to get $3-400 for it, figuring even though it's a nice guitar, a Carvin wouldn't hold its value all that well. My teacher figured about $3-400 too, so we easily came to $350. He feels like he got a good deal, and I feel like a got a fair price. The icing on the cake is that the guitar will be well loved ... and played!! :D

Edit: The $$ will go toward an Opio acacia tenor I just ordered from Mim. I also have two Fender tube amps that are currently getting a tune-up by the local amp guru. When they come back, they'll go on consignment at Elderly. (1968 Vibro Champ and a late 70s Princeton Reverb) I already sold my 2000 US Fender Fat Tele, but I'm keeping my 2003 Samick Greg Bennett RL3 and Roland Cube 30. It will remind me that playing much guitar now is painful and thus keep me from investing in any new guitars. :D

Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy-ren-and-stimpy-30567735-593-289.jpg

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I too am going to be selling many of my old guitars and only keeping the ones that I will actually play...

Hopefully I can sell locally, since shipping in a hard case would be costly for the buyer and may work against me in terms of price....

I just need to find/make the time to take photos and research value. Not enough hours in the day. :/

Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy-ren-and-stimpy-30567735-593-289.jpg

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I too am going to be selling many of my old guitars and only keeping the ones that I will actually play...

Hopefully I can sell locally, since shipping in a hard case would be costly for the buyer and may work against me in terms of price....

I just need to find/make the time to take photos and research value. Not enough hours in the day. :/

My feelings exactly re shipping hard cases, etc. I'm happy to accept less money to avoid having to eat the hefty cost of shipping large/heavy items. Best to you! :D

Top Bottom