Baggs 5.0 too wide for saddle slot

The dman

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting a Baggs 5.0 pickup installed in my Ohana CK-35 and my tech informed me that the pickup is too wide for the slot. I guess assumed it would just work. Has anyone had this problem and is widening the slot a viable option? I couldn't find any mention of this on the net. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-0968.jpg
    IMG-0968.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi, Dman, I see your dilemma, and although I don't have any personal experience with this issue, I note that Joel, the guy from "The Ukulele Site" (Hawaii Music Supply) has a video online entitled "Installing a Pickup- LR Baggs 5.0 in an Ukulele", in which he goes thru the whole process. If he doesn't touch on your particular issue in the video, I would bet that if you got in touch with him, he could answer your question about the advisability of slightly widening that saddle slot.

To clarify, Dman, we're talking about the "mesh" element being slightly too WIDE (i.e. "thick") to lay in the saddle slot without getting squished, correct?

At first I though you meant that the element is too LONG (i.e. crossways), but I noticed that Joel, in his video, took care of that "length" issue by simply carefully coiling up the excess length and wrapping a "tie" around it so that it suspends neatly inside the uke. But it's my understanding that you're dealing with an issue of the element being too "fat", rather than being too "long".

Am I making any sense here? -Bill

To clarify, Dman, we're talking about the "mesh" element being slightly too WIDE (i.e. "thick") to lay in the saddle slot without getting squished, correct?

At first I though you meant that the element is too LONG (i.e. crossways), but I noticed that Joel, in his video, took care of that "length" issue by simply carefully coiling up the excess length and wrapping a "tie" around it so that it suspends neatly inside the uke. But it's my understanding that you're dealing with an issue of the element being too "fat", rather than being too "long".

Am I making any sense here? -Bill

Bill

Yes it's the with of the saddle slot that was the problem. I ended up getting a different ukulele with a wider slot.
Thanks

Top Bottom