Volcano

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
Chuck Moore, what's it like in your digs? Anyway you can make use of lava in the ukulele building process?:) :)

Seriously though I don't know much about volcanoes but do be careful.

More than half the Big Island is in an active volcano zone.
Puna and Ka'u are the epicenters.
Best wishes and prayers to those folks!

Just had a message from Chuck - bugging out was the term he used. Leaving behind his idyll, his lovely house and workshop. Thoughts and prayers for him and all the others who are in danger of losing their homes and livelihoods...

Just had a message from Chuck - bugging out was the term he used. Leaving behind his idyll, his lovely house and workshop. Thoughts and prayers for him and all the others who are in danger of losing their homes and livelihoods...

Amen to that Pete. Living in an earthquake prone country I can certainly empathise.

Crazy! Sort of makes you want to get over there to see that! But, maybe not.
Absolutely NOT. Years ago a couple of my friends were visiting the island, they went out to see a lava flow, ignored the warning signs and walked out to where the flow went into the ocean. A big hot wave splashed them, 3rd degree burns on their arms and legs. They were in the hospital for a few weeks recovering.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I have been watching this on tv. Dangerous fumes, uncertainty etc. Does insurance cover one's possessions, eg house and contents ?

I have a cousin on the Big Island, in Captain Cook. She says that they have felt the earthquakes, but the eruptions have not affected them (opposite side). They cannot get earthquake or volcano insurance.
They keep a packed bag at all times, just in case. She is a glass artist, makes her living blowing glass & making vases. Like Chuck, if they have to leave, everything gets left behind but the bug-out bag.

I only get worried when we lose communications; As many people have said, things can (eventually) be replaced, but people can't.

Our thoughts are with everyone there.

-Kurt​

USGS has a map showing the most recent activity. I had been looking for something like this for some time. By my guesstimate Chuck's shop is less than 2 miles from the lava flow into the ocean. Find the green X on attached map.

Attachments

• image-437_20180522053520706.jpg
    image-437_20180522053520706.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 60
USGS has a map showing the most recent activity. I had been looking for something like this for some time. By my guesstimate Chuck's shop is less than 2 miles from the lava flow into the ocean. Find the green X on attached map.

We stay in Opihikao whenever we can, around the corner from Chuck's place. This map, I find, is an even better one; updated daily and has the details. Chuck's place is less than one mile from the flow into the ocean. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...l=19.436358386624192,-154.88528603254434&z=15

Agreed, that was an ignorant thing to say, my apologies.

No worries, a sense of humor is necessary during this event.
We are still evacuated, still waiting to see what comes next. As Tonya said, we are located about a mile from where the lava meets the ocean. The hazard here is from the gases and fumes that are blowing our way. I did manage to salvage some of my better wood and some necessary jigs and tools in the event we can move back in if and when things settle down.

No worries, a sense of humor is necessary during this event.
We are still evacuated, still waiting to see what comes next. As Tonya said, we are located about a mile from where the lava meets the ocean. The hazard here is from the gases and fumes that are blowing our way. I did manage to salvage some of my better wood and some necessary jigs and tools in the event we can move back in if and when things settle down.

:shaka::music: As a happy owner of 1808, I think 1808 needs a sibling close by :)

Top Bottom