End of an Era.

Hms

Reaction score
Well, it looks like it's the end of an era.
Checking the Mya Moe shop tracker, there is one uke listed, on step 14, next step final photo's, packing and shipping. A rather nice blue pond myrtle tenor classic. (2523) I wonder where that is going?
Sad to see production stop, they built superb ukes, I am fortunate to own two of them. Their communication, with all the videos, their website, and the general business ethos was exemplary.
It's a pity more people will be unable to experience the wait and then opening the package of a new uke arriving from White Salmon.
Gordon, Char enjoy your retirement.
Aaron, onwards and upwards with Beansprout!
h

Yes, I found out about them way too late and by the time I had my dream uke configured they were not taking any orders any more. So congratulations to all the lucky MM owners and players, and a great retirement to the builders.

Its good for present owners as prices of used example are going to be favorable.

Best of luck to Aaron.

He's a great teacher. Any skill I have with clawhammer I owe to him;)

Thanks for posting about this. I had forgot when they were winding down exactly...

Just now, watching the last 3-4 videos on their YT channel (at the time of this post), Gordon explains about the end of the company making instruments, and that their legacy will live on in their shop equipment going to Aaron, another one of their peers, and sold to an as-of-yet unnamed 3rd party.

Their ukes were always above my budget but the ones I got the chance to play were made well and sounded nice.

Hopefully they leave all the videos up on their YT channel, as there is a huge wealth of info there for anyone interested in how a uke is made, and the full story of Mya Moe, which is a very nice and heartfelt one.

I consider those videos a wonderful resource, and used to watch them often, and I have high regard for Gordon, Char and Aaron, and wish them all the best in their future endeavors....

Thanks Hms for the reminder of this milestone. I’ve had a few Myamoe ukes over years, all were special.

This is also got me thinking about other larger scale builders who have phased out or retired from building great ukes.
Collings, Taylor, Larrivee, Breedlove come to mind. Very sad to see them leave the Ukulele marketplace. Glad that Aaron Keim, Ben Bonham, and a mystery builder will be continuing the Myamoe legacy in their builds.

Char, Gordon, and Aaron (Nicole and others, too) have always been very patient and willing to go "above and beyond" in every interaction I have had with them. Their picnics in the Columbia River Gorge were great fun. Aaron's "new" company, Beansprout, has a recent photo of some of his prototype ukuleles - looks interesting. https://www.facebook.com/beansproutmusicalinstruments/?ref=py_c

Bill

Mya Moe handover

Well, it looks like it's the end of an era.
Checking the Mya Moe shop tracker, there is one uke listed, on step 14, next step final photo's, packing and shipping. A rather nice blue pond myrtle tenor classic. (2523) I wonder where that is going?
Sad to see production stop, they built superb ukes, I am fortunate to own two of them. Their communication, with all the videos, their website, and the general business ethos was exemplary.
It's a pity more people will be unable to experience the wait and then opening the package of a new uke arriving from White Salmon.
Gordon, Char enjoy your retirement.
Aaron, onwards and upwards with Beansprout!
h

I have 2522! ( and 2142, 1212, & 611) :) I picked up 2522 from Gordon at White Salmon in June, 6 weeks ago. I also met Cary Kelly who has acquired the Mya Moe name, gear, website, etc. View Gordon’s ‘unscripted’ explanation of handing over to Cary. I picked up 2142 last year from Gordon and Char at White Salmon and Gordon at the time told me they were retiring at the end of June, 2018. After playing 2142 I felt like I needed another Mya Moe, before it was too late! and, losing once because of dilly dallying on putting a deposit on another myrtle last August or September (2017) I grabbed the 2nd last Mya Moe when posted on the ‘coming soon’ function, a week after missing the striped myrtle: I had checked the Mya Moe site before getting out of bed in the morning and put the deposit on before dressing, breakfast or teeth brushing! The four MMs are different but each totally satisfying. The visit to White Salmon this June reminded me of my retiring; the entity goes on even as the people change. Last year’s visit was more celebratory but it was also the first time I went to White Salmon so there was the excitement of the new and also getting my 1st MM after waiting for 8 months; I first started exchanging emails with Gordon in November of 2016. So weird, yes. Witnessing the change of hands. Because of the personal connection Gordon and Char formed with their ‘customers’, I think. Even peripheral ones like me. But Cary seemed keen and being there in the shop with Gordon and Cary, seeing the ‘passing’ of the torch or whatever, was also encouraging, and cool! Gordon and Cary were both working on forming a neck at one point. Yep, glad I was there. Beautiful spot high above the Columbia Gorge on the Washington side, looking south to Oregon. Great experience.

Yes, I found out about them way too late and by the time I had my dream uke configured they were not taking any orders any more. So congratulations to all the lucky MM owners and players, and a great retirement to the builders.

They will always be available used, although probably not in the exact configuration you would like. Still, would you expect to get a bad one? :)

I got two beauties from online sellers, a koa resonator tenor and a mahogany concert.

Isn't one of the partners keeping it going? Maybe under another name...

Isn't one of the partners keeping it going? Maybe under another name...

Cary Kelly is the new owner of Mya-Moe http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/ and is moving the luthier operation to Illinois. Aaron Keim, a former employee of Mya-Moe has re-started his Beansprout business.
https://www.thebeansprout.com/

"Aaron started Beansprout in 2007 with Heidi and Rob Litke (Red Sands Ukulele) in Broomfield, Colorado. They made 100+ instruments before Aaron moved to Oregon to work for Mya-Moe Ukuleles in 2011. While at Mya-Moe under the guidance of Gordon and Char Mayer, Aaron's building skills blossomed while he learned the importance of customer service and keeping a focused shop schedule. Most importantly, they gave Aaron the opportunity to work on the 2000+ instruments that Mya-Moe put out over these years. In the meantime, Aaron developed an interest in domestic/local/salvaged woods, vintage woodworking equipment and traditional hand woodworking techniques. Aaron and Nicole continue to perform and teach worldwide and publish books as The Quiet American. Nicole also makes art as Marmalade Creations. "

Last edited:
The end of one era and the beginning of another.

I recall when you could purchase completed builds directly from stock on their website, then their popularity exploded.

I have a custom build, number 1267.

7DC36B3B-C118-4151-9377-EA5328B0CD42.jpg

0BFF5D7F-7F44-4F3E-B997-E8C920543CC4.jpg

DD887533-B477-42B0-BE5E-6B8DC4323C6E.jpg

I’ve had 3 Tenors and a beansprout in the past 3 years. All good instruments. Wish I had kept one of them but they were all part of my journey to my current collection, which I am very happy with to say the least.

Top Bottom