Prayers for the Big Island

Sending thoughts and prayers too. Be safe Slack Key - Kimo.

Kimo is fine..he lives on Oahu which is a totally different Island from The Big Island(Hawaii Island) no active Volcanos on Oahu..if I see Kimo I will pass the message for you....:)

Is Chuck Moore in the path of this eruption? He has a beautiful home and workshop that would be irreplaceable.

Yes, our home and shop are under direct threat of lava inundation and we have evacuated. Along with the lava itself it's the deadly gasses that are a particular concern. We're just in a holding pattern trying to figure out what all this means to us. Mahalo for your concern.

So. You think that saving the house and losing the owners would be a good idea? When was the last time you heard about Insurance companies replacing a life!
And just FYI I have seen the house.

The sad thing is, most people who are in lava zones 1 and 2 (us included) don't have insurance against lava damage. Lava inundation isn't quite like other natural disasters such are earthquakes, fires or hurricanes. Lava is still rather slow moving and people have time to respond accordingly. You do have time to get out of harm's way. Of the 26 homes burned so far, there has been no loss of life. It's a sad and tragic situation here.

So. You think that saving the house and losing the owners would be a good idea? When was the last time you heard about Insurance companies replacing a life!
And just FYI I have seen the house.

That's a ridiculous statement, nobody was thinking that...except you apparently.

The sad thing is, most people who are in lava zones 1 and 2 (us included) don't have insurance against lava damage. Lava inundation isn't quite like other natural disasters such are earthquakes, fires or hurricanes. Lava is still rather slow moving and people have time to respond accordingly. You do have time to get out of harm's way. Of the 26 homes burned so far, there has been no loss of life. It's a sad and tragic situation here.

:(All the best, Chuck and everybody else in the path of Madam Pele...:shaka:

That's a ridiculous statement, nobody was thinking that...except you apparently.

You have a reading comprehension problem if you think that. Far too many flippant comments in this thread for me to remain silent. In the Christchurch earthquake hundreds of people lost their lives and thousands of properties where damaged, many beyond repair. With one or two exceptions all the homes and buildings where replaced. I have not heard of any of the dead being resurrected.

I sincerely hope you and your wife remain safe, through this life changing disaster.

Yes, our home and shop are under direct threat of lava inundation and we have evacuated. Along with the lava itself it's the deadly gasses that are a particular concern. We're just in a holding pattern trying to figure out what all this means to us. Mahalo for your concern.

Oh, man... we're shocked and dismayed about the whole situation, of course, but now, after seeing where you're located, exactly, in relation to the danger, we're just sick with concern.

To you and yours and everyone affected:
BE SAFE, and best wishes for the most favorable outcome possible!!

I'm pleased to find this thread, I'd been checking in for days, wondering if anyone we knew of was affected. It had been explained previously that people living in the area had rooms with a filtered air supply but I doubted those filters would eliminate H2S etc. So while I'm sympathetic about the property loss I'm pleased to read all are well.

I pray for your continued safety from the lava, gases and earthquakes. I'll always remember the day I visited your home.
John

"Tons" is a little generous. They've been pretty behind compared to how fast the news is getting out. Last flow we were getting updates twice a day. Now it's once a day - at best.

This map seems to be updated just as much, if not more than HVO stuff: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...ll=19.463036018604367,-154.9104881385814&z=15.

Check out Lava News and Ikaika Marzo on Facebook for on-the-ground updates.

They say the lava lake is going down, I have to wonder if it's draining through all those fissures? Could a new cone be forming?! :confused:

"Tons" is a little generous. They've been pretty behind compared to how fast the news is getting out. Last flow we were getting updates twice a day. Now it's once a day - at best.

This map seems to be updated just as much, if not more than HVO stuff: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...ll=19.463036018604367,-154.9104881385814&z=15.

Check out Lava News and Ikaika Marzo on Facebook for on-the-ground updates.

The link is to USGS and not HVO, and USGS is the only qualified organization that monitors the situation and ultimately releases status updates. If there's nothing "new" happening then they don't have reason to report it. The google maps are only nice visualization from the same source. Social media are a nice complement and provide some human interest perspective only.

The link is to USGS and not HVO, and USGS is the only qualified organization that monitors the situation and ultimately releases status updates. If there's nothing "new" happening then they don't have reason to report it. The google maps are only nice visualization from the same source. Social media are a nice complement and provide some human interest perspective only.

HVO is a subsidiary of USGS: one and the same to us here. There is, of course, lots of old (but amazing and well-presented - I've been up and down that site) news on the USGS site, but things are changing so fast that if you're relying on it as your sole source of info simply because it's "official," you're going to be behind the times very quickly.

The Coconut Wireless is a profound thing in the digital age. Unfortunately for the folks in Leilani, time doesn't stop between USGS updates. There isn't a single fissure or breakout that I've heard about from USGS first. The maps simply confirm what people on the ground are seeing.

HVO is a subsidiary of USGS: one and the same to us here. There is, of course, lots of old (but amazing and well-presented - I've been up and down that site) news on the USGS site, but things are changing so fast that if you're relying on it as your sole source of info simply because it's "official," you're going to be behind the times very quickly.

The Coconut Wireless is a profound thing in the digital age. Unfortunately for the folks in Leilani, time doesn't stop between USGS updates. There isn't a single fissure or breakout that I've heard about from USGS first. The maps simply confirm what people on the ground are seeing.

Totally agree Brad. The very last place I look for updates is the USGS. The first place I go to Ikaika's page. (I'm already hearing rumors of him running for mayor)

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.mar...w_ud6ggEp2CRJE5kLXg7J1nAozoz9eTSUpS5BMa90m8AQ

They say the lava lake is going down, I have to wonder if it's draining through all those fissures? Could a new cone be forming?! :confused:

I’ve read that is a possibility, but the lava isn’t fountaining from the fissures as high as it has when a new one is formed. There was a flow in 1955 that scientists say this seems more similar to, which you can see on this map, was just south of the current outbreak.
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/maps_uploads/image-418.jpg
Here’s an article comparing past flows, with video: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...on-compares-to-past-lava-flows/?noredirect=on

The HVO site is good for explaining what’s been happening day to day, but they are not a news organization with up-to-the-minute Facebook updates. If you want to see what’s been happening, even before the fissures opened, they have a good chronology.

Last edited:
My pops and his work buddies did some rough rock-crusher-dude math and they reckoned that the difference between where the lava lake was a few days ago and when it was full is 800 thousand-something yards. Seems like that leaves a lot MIA and the lake is still going down...

On a related note: http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2...mmit-explosion-concerns-to-volcano-community/.

Thanks for chiming in, Chuck. Know you're out of the way, but we're thinking about you all the time.

My pops and his work buddies did some rough rock-crusher-dude math and they reckoned that the difference between where the lava lake was a few days ago and when it was full is 800 thousand-something yards. Seems like that leaves a lot MIA and the lake is still going down...

On a related note: http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2...mmit-explosion-concerns-to-volcano-community/.

Thanks for chiming in, Chuck. Know you're out of the way, but we're thinking about you all the time.

Thanks Brad. Not really out of harm's way when poisonous surfer dioxide gas is stalking you.

Top Bottom