Sidekick or Duke 10?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
Anyone have a chance to play both? Trying to decide whether or not to get the 8 inch or 10 inch. Still getting used to tenor size and I'm a small person. Figure the Duke 10 is much louder. Do both sizes still sound plenty banjo enough? Is the 10 worth the extra money? Was thinking of getting a concert sized banjouke as well. Opinions?
I'd be a banjo picker if I could fret one.

Wouldn't mind hearing from some of the women out there. I'm really small (under 5') so I'm wondering if the 10 might not be too big for me. The vids I'm finding have guys playing, so it's hard to get a good idea

Last edited:
Well, the average banjo has an 11-inch head. If there is a music shop near you or if you know someone with a banjo, you can make a dimensional estimate of what size the Duke10 is by measuring where a 17-inch scale (nut to bridge) would be by measuring from the bridge to wherever on the fretboard 17 inches is - that's the length not counting headstock, Weightwise, the Duke10 is a feather compared to any banjo I've ever held (especially my Deering!). The difference between an 11-inch head to a 10-inch is not as dramatic as going from 10 to 8, and can give a general impression of how the 10-inch matches to the person.

Have had both the Sidekick and the Duke10 simultaneously. Soundwise, the Duke10 is more robust than the Sidekick, but the Sidekuck is no slouch. Weightwise they feel identical. If one keeps the head properly tightened and uses decent strings the Sidekick is a gem.

The first-generation Sidekick did not have a built-in pickup. That does make a money difference and the pickup's value depends on the player's use of the instrument.

Last edited:
Well, the average banjo has an 11-inch head. If there is a music shop near you or if you know someone with a banjo, you can make a dimensional estimate of what size the Duke10 is by measuring where a 17-inch scale (nut to bridge) would be by measuring from the bridge to wherever on the fretboard 17 inches is - that's the length not counting headstock, Weightwise, the Duke10 is a feather compared to any banjo I've ever held (especially my Deering!). The difference between an 11-inch head to a 10-inch is not as dramatic as going from 10 to 8, and can give a general impression of how the 10-inch matches to the person.

Have had both the Sidekick and the Duke10 simultaneously. Soundwise, the Duke10 is more robust than the Sidekick, but the Sidekuck is no slouch. Weightwise they feel identical. If one keeps the head properly tightened and uses decent strings the Sidekick is a gem.

The first-generation Sidekick did not have a built-in pickup. That does make a money difference and the pickup's value depends on the player's use of the instrument.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see if I can figure it out. the duke site has measurements, so I'll go try against a banjo. Looks like the whole thing is about 1.5" longer than my Kala tenor so it might be OK. My Kala sits 12" bottom to top of bough and this is only 10". It's about .5" longer nut to 12th so it may work. I found an old Duke vid playing the 8" Duke and the Duke 10 and the 10 definitely sounds more like a banjo which is what I'm looking for. Worst come to worse, I guess I could sell it on here.
I did pick up a Deering in a store once and it was so bloody heavy I didn't really bother playing it.

Oh, the sidekick I looked at online turns out to be a fake. Something seemed off to me, so I asked Ed who confirmed it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLEN5OU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1VEJ2YYJECNWJ&psc=1

Ed in NZ is a good guy. Have had three (both the 8" Sidekcks and stull have the Duke10) of his creations and thrilled with all of them. Have had a ball customizing the D10 and it is the the keeper column.

Thanks Steve. No sidekicks available, but got the Duke 10. I did stop by a music store and sat with a banjo, so size wise I'm hoping it won't be too big. I'm still trying to get used to a tenor neck, so I'll see if I keep it. Sounds so good I just had to give it a shot. Let's see what it's like when it comes. Wish I could find a 10" drum with a concert neck. Would probably have to construct one myself. Who knows, maybe down the road...

Well....depending on what tuning you want, you could try tuning a note down (if GCEA is the plan, then FBDG) and then capo down two frets. That would effectively give you concert scale. Even if you tune down a half-note and capo one fret down, that would effectively reduce length.

Well....depending on what tuning you want, you could try tuning a note down (if GCEA is the plan, then FBDG) and then capo down two frets. That would effectively give you concert scale. Even if you tune down a half-note and capo one fret down, that would effectively reduce length.

For me it's about distance between frets. Ed says the neck has been used by a lot of people with small hands. I'm picking up one of the concert Little Gems just because they look like fun and I like the blue. For that price I figure I can't go wrong. I seriously may do the DIY if the tenor doesn't work. I'm just gonna have to see.

Top Bottom